(FA)USMLE-Rx/Pathoma vs Uworld/Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I usually do better when I only concentrate in 1-2 resource(s) instead of using multiple..., and I am afraid if I use too many resources to prepare for step 1, I might not master the materials that I need to know cold for the exam...

My question is: If you had to choose between (FA)USMLE-Rx/pathoma or Uworld/pathoma] combo, which one would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

I usually do better when I only concentrate in 1-2 resource(s) instead of using multiple..., and I am afraid if I use too many resources to prepare for step 1, I might not master the materials that I need to know cold for the exam...

My question is: If you had to choose between (FA)USMLE-Rx/pathoma or Uworld/pathoma] combo, which one would you pick?

Look, the best option by far is using 3 resources minimally: FA, UWorld, & Pathoma (UFAP ftw!) Master these 3 and you've got a good shot at scoring well.

Ok... I guess I'm gonna have to use them all. It will be a brutal summer... I will have to increase the study time from 14 hrs/day to 16 hrs...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok... I guess I'm gonna have to use them all. It will be a brutal summer... I will have to increase the study time from 14 hrs/day to 16 hrs...
IMHO, pathoma has little place in dedicated prep. You should master this during 2nd year. When you hit dedicated you should be focusing on uworld and fa maybe a couple of pathoma chapters that you still struggle with

Reactions: 1 users
Use pathoma with classes, and if questions help you then use Rx too. Each block at least skim through first aid once to familiarize yourself with it. When dedicated comes around you will go through first aid to refresh and do questions with uworld while pathoma is more of a reference prn.

I wouldn't plan on getting more than 12hrs of quality studying out of a day either (takes ~14hrs), with 1 day off a week or prepare to burn out.

Reactions: 1 user
During dedicated I plan to focus on FA/UWorld. Right now (during M2) I am using Pathoma+USMLE-Rx

Reactions: 1 user
I am using pathoma and USMLE-Rx (pharm/patho/micro) now. I did not use USMLE-Rx in MS1, which was a huge mistake. Therefore, I will have to do anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, neuroanatomy, embryology, immunology, histology, biostats in Rx during dedicated time for step1... I really commend people who got 250+ on that test... It's a lot stuff to memorize. I hope that exam is heavy in pathology/pharm/micro/physiology... I practically forgot most of the things I learned in MS1...

So far in M2, I've just been keeping up with classes, but I also got Rx about a month back and have been trying to do a few question blocks every now and then. With a full ~44q block, untimed (since I have no problem with running out of time on tests, and excluding like the systems blocks our curriculum hasn't covered yet)

The problem is that it takes sooo much time to properly review the questions after taking a block that its hard to find time to do it. I am hoping to do USMLE world during our dedicated study period

So far the some of the questions are hard, but some of the presentations are super classical/buzzwordy. Is it general consensus that Rx is easier? also seems like the the "Predicted USMLE Performance" thing that it gives is an overestimate from some other threads...