I just requested.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm not trying to start a war here, but this should technically include Asians and other "non-Whites" as well. :shrug:

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical

Noomm

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Funny how you guys are arguing about whether Asians should be allowed - but if you look at the group you will actually see that a Vietnamese girl is the admin.

blackgirlmd

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
I thought he was just being "smart" by saying yellow. Didn't know he was saying "Asian". But obviously Asian are POC.

Noomm

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
she looks pretty white to me
Wow, you're right. It looks like she just married a Viet guy. Also she looks at least 30 years old. This thread is getting more and more interesting...

Reactions: md-2020

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
is he wrong? why should whites and asian premedical candidates be considered second class citizens in your view?
Dude, let it go. It was a misunderstanding.

Oct 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
is he wrong? why should whites and asian premedical candidates be considered second class citizens in your view?
This is a pretty fabulous reversal. The reality is that certain races are institutionally and culturally second class citizens in America, and affirmative action serves to counteract this inherent disadvantage. Do you see how it would be an issue to hold all URM candidates to a much higher standard than their often poor educational opportunities prepare them to achieve? And yes, AA could be done by income, but race plays into economic geography, and disadvantaged races in America face hardship that is not solely economic, such as being scared of the police, for example.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Granted, we should aim for improving minority representation in high-profile positions, but we should not sacrifice our emphasis on merit and ability. Instead we should give everyone better access to education so that we can choose on merit and without discrimination. discrimination based on skin color is the wrong way to do it.

This is a pretty fabulous reversal. The reality is that certain races are institutionally and culturally second class citizens in America, and affirmative action serves to counteract this inherent disadvantage. Do you see how it would be an issue to hold all URM candidates to a much higher standard than their often poor educational opportunities prepare them to achieve? And yes, AA could be done by income, but race plays into economic geography, and disadvantaged races in America face hardship that is not solely economic, such as being scared of the police, for example.

Reactions: Pusheen

blackgirlmd

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Granted, we should aim for improving minority representation in high-profile positions, but we should not sacrifice our emphasis on merit and ability. Instead we should give everyone better access to education so that we can choose on merit and without discrimination. discrimination based on skin color is the wrong way to do it.
Not everyone has access to said education. Because history.

blackgirlmd

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Love you for this. "Omg I am at a disadvantage when applying to medical school but URM get to get lower scores"
But white ppl hold al of the privilege in this country. Like please do some research.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Love you for this. "Omg I am at a disadvantage when applying to medical school but URM get to get lower scores"
But white ppl hold al of the privilege in this country. Like please do some research.
that chip on your shoulder is pretty obvious

Reactions: Dr. Death
Oct 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I definitely agree that reform and equalization of education is the ideal solution, but after the massive defunding of head start programs, affirmative action is a pretty good way of creating URM professionals whose economic and social status will allow access to better opportunities for their kids and thereby enable exponential improvement over several generations. Ideally we would hit the problem earlier in the cycle, at the early education levels, but the funding just isn't there. And discrimination based on skin color was the wrong way to do it for 300+ years, and it's that legacy of oppression that has created the racial achievement gap. Something has to be done to bridge it.

Oct 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Haha ikr. Like all im saying is this aversion to racial discrimination wouldve been real helpful in like the early 1800s

Last edited:

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
This thread is about a FB group. It shouldn't devolve into a URM thread. :confused:

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Haha ikr. Like all im saying is this aversion to racial discrimination wouldve been real helpful in like the early 1800s
we're not talking about the 1800's, we're talking about issues facing Americans today. It does no good to croak and moan about how people discriminated against you 100 years ago if you are not willing to lift yourselves up today with hard work like every other honest and hardworking citizen of the United States

Reactions: Dr. Death
Oct 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
we're not talking about the 1800's, we're talking about issues facing Americans today. It does no good to croak and moan about how people discriminated against you 100 years ago if you are not willing to lift yourselves up today with hard work like every other honest and hardworking citizen of the United States
It was a joke. If you want me to restate that, then,

As many great thinkers have said, the empowered majority acts to increase and maintain its own power. Thus, it is not surprising that this majority took 300+ years to begin to partially support the civil rights movement, which opposed discrimination that increased the majority's power, but has quickly developed an aversion to affirmative action, which is racial discrimination that serves to decrease the majority's power. It is not an aversion to racial discrimination, it is an aversion to losing total control, and feeling that the system is unfair-- a feeling that the bemoaned URM candidates experience 24/7.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
It was a joke. If you want me to restate that, then,

As many great thinkers have said, the empowered majority acts to increase and maintain its own power. Thus, it is not surprising that this majority took 300+ years to begin to partially support the civil rights movement, which opposed discrimination that increased the majority's power, but has quickly developed an aversion to affirmative action, which is racial discrimination that serves to decrease the majority's power. It is not an aversion to racial discrimination, it is an aversion to losing total control, and feeling that the system is unfair-- a feeling that the bemoaned URM candidates experience 24/7.
The system is unfair to Asian minorities too but if people like you had your way, you guys would overturn/repeal bakke vs university of california and reimplement quotas that would bar asians and jews from higher education in the name of preserving diversity and helping URM's like yourself.

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I am not an Asian, however I wold like to point out Asians faced discrimination as well.
They were profiled during world war 2, labored too hard in the west, anti-Asian laws were passed during the 1800s...
Just saying!!!
Japanese-american citizens were placed in internment camps :scared:

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Japanese-american citizens were placed in internment camps :scared:
Where did I say all Asians were placed? Thing is if you were Asian during world war 2 you would face discrimination.. Most Americans couldn't tell the difference between a Japanese person, and a Chinese person.. They still can't by the way..

Oct 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
The system is unfair to Asian minorities too but if people like you had your way, you guys would repeal bakke vs university of california and reimplement quotas that would bar asians and jews from higher education in the name of preserving diversity and helping URM's like yourself.
Again, this reversal is incredible. Lacking any legislation that improves the institutional disadvantage of URM PoC, the only way to somehow break the cycle and create opportunities for them to "lift themselves up by the bootstraps" is to at some point compensate for their disadvantage. That's just logical. And I'm South Asian, so not URM.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Again, this reversal is incredible. Lacking any legislation that improves the institutional disadvantage of URM PoC, the only way to somehow break the cycle and create opportunities for them to "lift themselves up by the bootstraps" is to at some point compensate for their disadvantage. That's just logical. And I'm South Asian, so not URM.
that's ridiculous

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Can't argue with that logic.

Why no anger over the fact that black people are 6x more likely to be incarcerated than white people? Is that not also an institutional disadvantage, like affirmative action, and in fact a much more damaging one?
why don't you ask them why they commit crimes at 6x the rate of everyone else. Don't hang that over our heads as justification for your discrimination and quota programs.

Wow, you're right. It looks like she just married a Viet guy. Also she looks at least 30 years old. This thread is getting more and more interesting...
reminds me of

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/naacp-leader-rachel-dolezal-lied-black-parents-article-1.2255743

Oct 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
why don't you ask them why they commit crimes at 6x the rate of everyone else. Don't hang that over our heads as justification for your discrimination and quota programs.
Yes, because as we all know crime is a manifestation of the evil, racially dependent demons inside of us, and not a product of a desperate, desolate, oppressive, and institutionally antagonistic environment.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes because as we all know crime is a manifestation of the evil, racially dependent demons inside of us, and not a product of a desperate, desolate, oppressive, and institutionally antagonistic environment.
crime is a choice. ask honest men like Justice Clarence Thomas

sovereign0

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I told myself that I would unwatch this thread as soon as it began to devolve, but it might be important to note that AA in admissions is not the direct result of adcoms hoping to single-handedly solve the issues of racial inequality.

It's much simpler than that. There are a lot of minority patients. We do not have many doctors from URM backgrounds. We need more.

Do URM applicants get in with lower stats? Sure. Are they unqualified? Not at all. I would also be lying if I tried to deny that some URM applicants are disadvantaged/discriminated against because of their racial background, but this is something that I can see certain people blowing out of proportion or harping on even if it does not actually apply to them.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
Oct 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
crime is a choice. ask honest men like Justice Clarence Thomas
True. I, for example, have the choice of being a criminal, or going to college and medical school. Obviously not always, but often, these choices are more pre determined for URM PoC, in that they can be criminals, or live a life that goes nowhere. It's a resilient cycle of institutional neglect and resultant cultural apathy. The criminal system of gangs and prison grows as disadvantaged communities are shut off from other avenues to personal success. People with no options do bad things. It's coercion, not choice.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
True. I, for example, have the choice of being a criminal, or going to college and medical school. Obviously not always, but often, these choices are more pre determined for URM PoC, in that they can be criminals, or live a life that goes nowhere. It's a resilient cycle of institutional neglect and resultant cultural apathy. The criminal system of gangs and prison grows as disadvantaged communities are shut off from other avenues to personal success. People with no options do bad things. It's coercion, not choice.
you would have us believe it is circumstance that forces the hand holding the knife, pulls the finger on the trigger, and that free will hardly matters? what a calvinist. Of course you wouldnt pay attention to the family values or lack thereof in these communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.