Facial Hair for Interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What type of facial hair, if any, do you wear to an interview?

• Clean Shaven

Votes: 102 64.6%
  • Full Beard

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Van **** (Moustache and Goatee Combo)

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Moustache

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Goatee

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • Soul Patch

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Other/Not Listed

Votes: 9 5.7%

• Total voters

PBMaxx

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, who are the brave ones that wear facial hair to an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I kept mine. No problems. I think as long as it's trimmed and kept nice and sharp, it shouldn't be a detriment.

I wasn't about to shave off my goatee for the interviews. No one has seemed to mind.

PBMaxx said:
So, who are the brave ones that wear facial hair to an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
See, my fiancee likes me in a goatee, but I shave it off for interviews. I figure no interviewers will look at me and think "He could use some facial hair." But I figure that if I go in with a goatee, an interviewer could want a clean-shaven candidate.

That's just my logic. A well trimmed beard or goatee looks fine to me, but I can't speak for ADCOMS.

PBMaxx said:
See, my fiancee likes me in a goatee, but I shave it off for interviews. I figure no interviewers will look at me and think "He could use some facial hair." But I figure that if I go in with a goatee, an interviewer could want a clean-shaven candidate.

That's just my logic. A well trimmed beard or goatee looks fine to me, but I can't speak for ADCOMS.

I worried about it briefly as well. But I figured if they were THAT superficial, then there's problems with their selection process. I know a neurosurgeon with a beard down to his chest, so why should it matter for us?

I have worn one of those chin goatee's for the past 6 years, but I think I am definitely going to shave when I do interviews next year. My friend who was a fourth year med student that did interviews, was instructed to look to see if an applicant's shoes were polished. If they weren't polished, they said it was a sign that this person isn't 100% serious about becoming a doctor. Even though it sounds ridiculous, some admissions officers believe in it. Also, the views of one interviewer doesn't necessarily represent the entire school. Just because you get an interviewer who is superficial doesn't mean the rest of the med school is superficial.

I never even thought about it. I wear a full beard and trim it close and neat for the interview. I think beards can look really good and very professional. I haven't been rejected post-interview yet and certainly no negative responses. Maybe it'll even allow you to stick out in peoples' minds.

yep, had my beard for all of my interviews......definitely keep in nicely trimmed up and you'll be fine. I'd suggest against crazy side-burns though

Heck, that guy in the Men's Wearhouse commercial has a beard. How can a beard NOT be professional??? Santa has one too.

Van **** + Chinstrap all the way.

Makes me look more academic I feel. Hasn't hurt me one bit.

Agent Splat said:
Heck, that guy in the Men's Wearhouse commercial has a beard. How can a beard NOT be professional??? Santa has one too.

You're gonna like the way you look. I guarantee it.

If you're going to wear a beard for your interview; please have a well developed well groomed beard!

Last edited:
This is coming from a woman, but I think a trimmed beard is no prob. When my husband was a re-applicant, however, he decided to go ahead and shave the beard he had had for years, just in case. That probably wasn't what did the trick, but something did!

Members don't see this ad :)
PBMaxx said:

I have to agree: it's probably a very safe bet. I'm a big fan of facial hair but for some reason it still carries a stigma with it, at least with the older conservative generations. Damn hippies!

I shaved, but normally i wear my facial hair in the scruffy, 5 o'clock shadow style (a la Brad Pitt ;) ) I obeviously shaved for interviews, however. I get razor burn really bad, so i usually only use clippers to keep my shadow, but I didn't want to risk it for interviews (though I feel i look better with a shadow)

MD Rapper said:
What's a soul patch?

I've also heard them called "mojos" , "juice mops", or my favorite, the "flavor savor"

Its the little square/triangle/rectanglish deal you can grow under your bottom lip (aka lebray/lebret?)

twicetenturns said:
Van **** + Chinstrap all the way.

Makes me look more academic I feel. Hasn't hurt me one bit.

chin strap for me but it's neat and therefore i didn't shave; can't see how it matters as long as it's neat; i mean doctors have facial hair.

I could never shave my beard; it is my power!!!!!

i was thinking about keeping my flavor savor for thursdays interview....but then haha... i figured that since it's USUHS, i better not.

As long as your goatee doesn't look like a muff (a la Marc Jackson from the Sixers), I think you'll be okay.

I keep a seasonal van ****....usually in the winter...Yeah I know it never gets that cold down in Texas but it makes me look mature especially if I'm dressed up. My mother hates it, but looking older has helped in interviews for jobs and summer programs.....I'm almost 21 and I look like I'm 25.

I think I would still keep it for a med school interview....nicely trimmed and combed of course.

no particular opinions on facial hair (just so long as it isn't on a female applicant)

OK, so I know I started this thread, and then I was a "clean-shaven" supporter (or at least I went to my interviews clean-shaven). I am, however, now going to take a leap--a chance, if you will-- and wear a neatly trimmed goatee/van **** to my next interview.

Let the test begin.

More to come...

TTFN

PBM

Pair that bad boy up with a sweet 'stache. I find a tasteful mustache ride joke is always a good ice breaker for the lady interviewers.

PBMaxx said:
OK, so I know I started this thread, and then I was a "clean-shaven" supporter (or at least I went to my interviews clean-shaven). I am, however, now going to take a leap--a chance, if you will-- and wear a neatly trimmed goatee/van **** to my next interview.

Let the test begin.

More to come...

TTFN

PBM

Agent Splat said:
I worried about it briefly as well. But I figured if they were THAT superficial, then there's problems with their selection process. I know a neurosurgeon with a beard down to his chest, so why should it matter for us?

I am only responding to say that Agent Splat has one of the best sigs I have ever seen.

I batted 1.000 on my interviews, with varying facial designs, from a full beard to goatee to funky-looking "mini-beard" to clean shaven.

Do you.

dc

I interviewed with someone who was wearing a beard. I had a beard. I got accepted. I win!

So far I'm 2 out of 2 for interviews and acceptances. So it hasn't hurt me yet.

On a related note: I wear contacts. Should I wear glasses and look smart? or none and look sexy?

Clean shaven?

-Debatable for men
-Required for women

I definitely favor glasses.

real men have beards.

look at our forefathers. they were men of pride.

now, who wants a moustache ride?