Facing possible dismissal need a good attorney in Boston? Any recommnedations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spshl k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am need a highly skilled attorney in the Boston area as I maybe facing dismissal from Dental school. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

google Hatch Legal Group, a dental practice specialty firm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am need a highly skilled attorney in the Boston area as I maybe facing dismissal from Dental school. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What school do you attend?

Hi,

Can I ask what you did? We are in need of some dismissals at my school...

Reactions: 2 users
What do you mean you need dismissals?

It's impossible to fail or remediate at my school. We're readily graduating cheaters and incompetent public health threats in order to remain financially solvent.

Reactions: 1 user
It's impossible to fail or remediate at my school. We're readily graduating cheaters and incompetent public health threats in order to remain financially solvent.

... Which school is this?

Don't they need to have passed the Boards to get their license?

Don't they need to have passed the Boards to get their license?

To be fair, passing boards isn't as hard as you would think. Considering the pass rate at my school, and considering how erm... simple... some people there are...

To be fair, passing boards isn't as hard as you would think. Considering the pass rate at my school, and considering how erm... simple... some people there are...

The National Boards set the level of expectations (especially now considering that NERB/WREB/etc. are not being required in states like NY and CT) If you want dental students to be of a higher caliber, make the boards tougher.

Last edited:
Then I don't think the blame should solely rest on dental schools....after all, would you expect every person to wake up at 5am everyday and train hard for a 1-mile race that provided coveted rewards to the winners if everyone got first place for completing one mile within 24 hours?

The National Boards set the level of expectations (especially now considering that NERB/WREB/etc. are not being required in states like NY and CT) If you want dental students to be of a higher caliber, make the boards tougher. I'm not saying remove the P/F grade....keep that....that reduces competition between students. However, making the questions harder will force schools (at least the ones that want to stay open) to improve their curricula. Net result? Dental students will graduate knowing more.

Of course, the counterargument to this is that schools will just "Teach to the test," in which case, the Boards would have to be much more focused on the conceptual and on clinical skills...things that students can't just memorize their way out of.

They already teach to the boards, actually. But from what I gather, it's only NBDE I that's not that bad. The rest are tougher.

Also, since when is NY not requiring the NERB? Please link me to your source, because I would LOVE to read that article.

Members don't see this ad :)
They already teach to the boards, actually. But from what I gather, it's only NBDE I that's not that bad. The rest are tougher.

Also, since when is NY not requiring the NERB? Please link me to your source, because I would LOVE to read that article.

It's been around for quite some time

"
In 2003, the post-graduate residency emerged
as an alternative

An alternative pathway to initial licensure was established by
the state of New York in 2003: completion of a residency. The New York State Dental Association actively supported legislation to offer completion of a residency program at least one year in length (PGY-1) in an accredited postdoctoral program in lieu of the clinical licensure examination as a pathway to licensure in the state. The 2003 ADA House of Delegates amended its Policy on Dental Licensure and Guidelines on Dental Licensure to reflect this option. In 2007, the completion of a postgraduate residency program in New York was mandated. The state of New York no longer accepts clinical examination as a pathway to licensure.
In California, Connecticut, Minnesota and Washington licensure applicants have the option of completing a residency in lieu of a clinical examination. However, each state has its own rules and regulations by post-graduate residency (PGY-1). PGY-1 may
be a suitable pathway to licensure for eligible dentists, unless
he or she foresees the possibility of moving to another state.

"

Source: Page 17 on article below:
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/understanding-licensure.ashx

How odd. NYU still has us taking the NERB.

I still think NERB is a good idea if one intends to move to a different state....NERB opens a lot of options. Are you planning to practice in NY for life?

Last edited:
NYU is not the State though. I still think NERB is a good idea if one intends to move to a different state....NERB opens a lot of options. Are you planning to practice in NY for life?

For those true-blooded CTers, NYers, WAers, and MNers, and CAers, the fact is that they do not have to shell out thousands of dollars for these stress-filled, sometimes randomly judged exams, if they pursue a 1 year AEGD/GPR. I think this is an amazing law.

Oh absolutely. I'll be staying in NY for life. If I do move out of NY, it will be to Berlin. And that's going to open a different can of worms in terms of licensing..

Reactions: 1 users
You don't even need to pass the board or do residency. You can work at community health center, treating Obamacare patients, for 5 years without passing your board.

You don't even need to pass the board or do residency. You can work at community health center, treating Obamacare patients, for 5 years without passing your board.
This can't be true...? Is it? How can someone whose failed the boards for licensing get licensed?

This can't be true...? Is it? How can someone whose failed the boards for licensing get licensed?

Well if you are a foreign-trained dentist you can work on a limited license doing basic operative + hygiene. Kinda like dental therapists.

For those true-blooded CTers, NYers, WAers, and MNers, and CAers, the fact is that they do not have to shell out thousands of dollars for these stress-filled, sometimes randomly judged exams, if they pursue a 1 year AEGD/GPR. I think this is an amazing law.

I'll give you the exams are very stressful and could be poorly judged, but I have to say that a year of AEGD/GPR costs WAY more than any licensing exam (even if you repeated it ten times).

I'll give you the exams are very stressful and could be poorly judged, but I have to say that a year of AEGD/GPR costs WAY more than any licensing exam (even if you repeated it ten times).

An AEGD is more expensive than ten licensing exams? How so?

Last edited:
An AEGD is more expensive than ten licensing exams? How so? I have heard from many general dentists that an AEGD really took their skills and confidence to the next level, which meant that they could keep more procedures in-house and produce more in the long run. Considering the going starting salary right out of school at ~100K and the fact that AEGDs pay about 50K, the "cost" of doing an AEGD as opposed to year 1 in general practice is 50K. In that year of AEGD, you can become comfortable with molar endo, implants, OS, etc. (depending on the program), which will increase your production in every year that you practice.

ALSO, if you plan to do an AEGD in the military (which is something that I am looking at), I really doubt that the year of experience and training would cost me "WAY more" than a licensing exam- military AEGDs pay you your full income (total starting compensation package is worth 91K + tax/vacation/etc. benefits).

Yes an AEGD is more expensive than ten licensing exams. I believe the NERB is about $2100, meanwhile 1 year of lost income is (conservatively) $100k. You've succumbed to the common fallacy that an AEGD/GPR results in a year of lost income in the beginning of your career, when in fact it is a year of lost income over your average career. And as a dentist with plenty of dentist friends, I can tell you that $150k is a very conservative number. I can also tell you that the procedures one keeps in-house has much more to do with your personality than any amount of training; an AEGD or GPR will add very little to one's income though it may add a massive amount to their initial confidence.

Regarding the military, I cannot comment on that as I am not familiar with that world.

Yes an AEGD is more expensive than ten licensing exams. I believe the NERB is about $2100, meanwhile 1 year of lost income is (conservatively) $100k. You've succumbed to the common fallacy that an AEGD/GPR results in a year of lost income in the beginning of your career, when in fact it is a year of lost income over your average career. And as a dentist with plenty of dentist friends, I can tell you that $150k is a very conservative number. I can also tell you that the procedures one keeps in-house has much more to do with your personality than any amount of training; an AEGD or GPR will add very little to one's income though it may add a massive amount to their initial confidence.

Regarding the military, I cannot comment on that as I am not familiar with that world.

Very interesting. I've never heard this perspective before...you say that personality plays a larger role in determining the procedures one keeps in-house than training does...but with no training, how can you do these procedures with any confidence?

Very interesting. I've never heard this perspective before...you say that personality plays a larger role in determining the procedures one keeps in-house than training does...but with no training, how can you do these procedures with any confidence?

Reading, CE courses and trial & error; the same way everyone does really. My wife graduated having done 3 RCTS, went straight out into practice and honed her skills. Now she has good results even with 2nd molar endo.

Reading, CE courses and trial & error; the same way everyone does really. My wife graduated having done 3 RCTS, went straight out into practice and honed her skills. Now she has good results even with 2nd molar endo.

Hmm..interesting...i'll ask my dentist mentors about this.
@OP, Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Yes in Masshachusetts, you can work to get paid and get your loan paid off in any community health center without the need to pass the board for license. You will be just like one of the externship students.

Poor OP is going to think there were a bunch of answers to his question when he gets back lol

Reactions: 3 users
So to make pizza
We need flour, water, olive oil, salt, yeast and sugar....

Ok op

Reactions: 5 users

The NBDE is getting harder. The INBDE will roll out in a few years. Much more difficult.
The CDCA (NERB) is far from randomly graded. Examiners are calibrated at each exam, a rigorous process.

Well if you are a foreign-trained dentist you can work on a limited license doing basic operative + hygiene. Kinda like dental therapists.
That's not always true. It depends on the state you are applying to practice in, as well as the residency programs. For example, in California if you do a 2 year residency/master program (such as the Masters of Public Health) after you have completed your NBDE Part 1+2, as well as any additional qualifying exams (that may be required), you are able to practice as a fully trained dentist in that state. I know that this also applies to additional states as well (Texas for another one).

Also, if your school is a US/Canadian Accredited schools, the process to practice in the States or Canada is a much more smooth process.

The NBDE is getting harder. The INBDE will roll out in a few years. Much more difficult.
The CDCA (NERB) is far from randomly graded. Examiners are calibrated at each exam, a rigorous process.

Took the pilot INBDE exam. I actually thought it was much easier than part 1 or part 2. (Though i do realize it was just a pilot exam :rolleyes:)