FACS for single-degree OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Anhedonia

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like single degree OMFS'sers will soon be eligible for ACS fellow status:
"
wZ08RLYo9RRe_l0RsJRH2ECh0yfMkTfpl9rrPH4U_ZZ4ZgmA0pCZii7_AL89jh4XtgVtDT7Rkz6a66QO07zuT1XP-41YOsZF7eYEeWJCGw=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Colleagues:

Given that nearly 300 dual-degreed AAOMS Fellows are also Fellows in the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and that an active OMS Section has been established within the College, the AAOMS and ACS have worked together to establish a new pathway that allows eligible, single-degreed oral and maxillofacial surgeons to apply for ACS Fellowship. In order to manage the flow of this process and at the request of the ACS, only a limited number of OMSs were initially invited to submit applications. Many of these first-round applicants have been approved and are completing the additional ACS requirements in anticipation of their election to Fellowship at the ACS Congress later this year.

We are now working with the ACS leadership to fine-tune the application process and determine when and how it may be offered to all eligible AAOMS Fellows. This is an exciting opportunity for our specialty, and we look forward to helping you further your professional career as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. As the number of oral and maxillofacial surgeons achieving ACS Fellowship continues to grow, we are hopeful that full Advisory Council representation can be achieved."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Friendly community update from AAOMS president:

"In my July 6 column I told you about our efforts to develop a pathway for single-degreed oral and maxillofacial surgeons to apply for Fellowship in the American College of Surgeons. Many of you have contacted me and our staff at the AAOMS office for additional information. While we are still confirming the details of the application process with colleagues at the ACS, we anticipate the system will be finalized in early September. We will keep you apprised of our progress inAAOMS Today and our ecommunications. "

Reactions: 1 users
What are the benefits of being an FACS surgeon?