Fact finding Verbal Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TouchofVersed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have found out that the questions I get wrong the most and consequently spend the most time on are the fact finding questions. They are written as follows:

-the author mentions all these qualities about global warming except"

-which assertions in the passage are supported by example/analogy:
I. Abc
II. DEF
III. GHJ

These are very easy questions, since no tricks are present. HOWEVER, my problem lies in not being able to find one of the 3 or 4 answer choices immediately. I spend more then a decent amount of time looking for each choice, especially if the choices are one word answers.

How should I go about these questions?

Members don't see this ad.

These questions test your ability to find the information in the passage (and/or remember the info from the passage).

The only way to really answer these questions is to go back to the passage and look for the answer choices (if you forgot whether one or two were mentioned).

Avoid: answer choices which copy text directly from the passage, or sounds very similar to the passage, but is not answering the question OR is not directly supported by the passage.

What technique are you using for VR? If you're using EK, then this is where the 20 second summary comes into play.

I spend this time explaining to myself what the author said in a paragraph-by-paragraph fashion, how this relates to his or her thesis, and what I think about it (do I think s/he is lacking on some important details?) Always, always, always be critical of assertions that the author does not give evidence for and always think about what the author's sources are.

Hopefully, in going through the passage paragraph-by-paragraph, you'll be able to (1) remember some examples that were used to exemplify certain points, and (2) know where these facts were presented (eg. first paragraph, third or fourth, etc...).

I agree with futuredoctor10 that you should be very cautious when a response uses the same words as in the passage, although these are not always the wrong answers. Be mindful of misinterpretations, misstatements and contradiction of ideas that use language similar to that used for the correct assertion in the passage.

So, I have found out that the questions I get wrong the most and consequently spend the most time on are the fact finding questions. They are written as follows:

-the author mentions all these qualities about global warming except"

-which assertions in the passage are supported by example/analogy:
I. Abc
II. DEF
III. GHJ

These are very easy questions, since no tricks are present. HOWEVER, my problem lies in not being able to find one of the 3 or 4 answer choices immediately. I spend more then a decent amount of time looking for each choice, especially if the choices are one word answers.

How should I go about these questions?

For me, I never remember the details of the passages so those questions were always big time wasters for me. I could read it quickly and get the main point of the passage and therefore was able to answer the other types of questions, but the fact finding ones just pissed me off. So instead of wasting time trying to skim the article for the answer, whenever I saw a fact finding question I just skipped it. I did all of the fact finding questiosn AFTER I completed the more critical analysis type questions per each passage. So, I read a passage, do the critical thinking questions, then do the fact-type question, then go to the next passage. I improved as soon as i started doing that.