Factors in osteopathic residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school gave us a ranking that the AOA published that is supposedly a ranking by importance of the factors in application to AOA residencies.

1. Interview
2. Ability to work with others
3. Maturity
4. Performance in program
5. Work habits
6. Clinical judgement
7. Problem solving ability
8. Overall clerkship performance
9. Clerkship medical knowledge
10. Clerkship technical skills
11. Clerkship performance in specialties
12. Grade point average
13. Class rank
14. Letters of recommendation
15. NBOME COMLEX Level 2 PE and CE
16. Geographic preference
17. NBOME COMLEX Level 1
18. Preclinical grades
19. Medical school attended

Step I boards #17??? Is this for real??? Those of you that have been through it, do you think this is accurate? It's pretty discouraging to those of us that put a lot into getting really high boardscores, and then it's worth less than
"geographic preference". :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

(nicedream) said:
My school gave us a ranking that the AOA published that is supposedly a ranking by importance of the factors in application to AOA residencies.

3. Maturity
12. Grade point average
13. Class rank
17. NBOME COMLEX Level 1
18. Preclinical grades

Step I boards #17??? Is this for real??? Those of you that have been through it, do you think this is accurate? It's pretty discouraging to those of us that put a lot into getting really high boardscores, and then it's worth less than

When you look at it this way, I think it makes more sense. All that stuff about clerkship evals and what not is pretty much universally positive (or at worst, the same for most applicants) and I believe that the other things should be weighed higher...Ive also heard of big name allo programs taking candidates with sub-stellar scores/grades because they were from the area and were able to impress upon the committee just how much they wanted to be there.

Do you think that GPA and class rank are really counted more than boards?

(nicedream) said:
Do you think that GPA and class rank are really counted more than boards?

For DO programs, yes. At least for most of them.

edit: or rather, I think PD's will say that those things are counted more, because they are long term measures of success and they seem more reliable ultimately than one test on one day.

These rankings are based on post-interview preference.

Board scores will get you in the door, "fit" and other factors will get you a spot.

It makes sense that some things are weighed more than numbers once you're in the interview room...but you need those board scores to get your chance to shine in the first place.

(nicedream) said:

1. Interview
3. Maturity
4. Performance in program
5. Work habits
6. Clinical judgement
7. Problem solving ability
8. Overall clerkship performance
9. Clerkship medical knowledge
10. Clerkship technical skills
11. Clerkship performance in specialties
12. Grade point average
13. Class rank
14. Letters of recommendation
17. NBOME COMLEX Level 1
18. Preclinical grades

I am gonna have to use some common sense here without first hand knowledge. I would think that grades/class-rank/board-scores would be what gets you the interview, so they are truly the most important because without them you will likely not get the interview, which means zero chance of acceptance.

Once you get the interview your numbers that got you the interview mean very little because the program feels there is so little difference numerically between interviewees it would be pointless to factor that heavily in deciding who gets the spot. Besides, what would be the point of having an interview???