Factors that are okay to say you looked at in picking schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legobikes

bikes made of lego
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What I mean is, when a school asks you, what is okay to say is the reason you chose that particular school to apply to. I think location and reputation aren't really kosher, but what is?

With my stats, I couldn't really afford to be too picky and I chose mainly on the basis of location (i.e. large city) and the school's matriculant's average stats. So I'm really not sure what to look for now to justify my choices in the school's eyes and make them feel all special. I've been looking at schools' mission statements and other information in the MSAR, but honestly most of it is vague adjective-ridden stuff, and I don't feel that just parroting those things back to them is going to cut it. What other important factors should I be looking for (like where their students get their residency?) and how the heck do I find information like that?

Members don't see this ad.

What I mean is, when a school asks you, what is okay to say is the reason you chose that particular school to apply to. I think location and reputation aren't really kosher, but what is?

With my stats, I couldn't really afford to be too picky and I chose mainly on the basis of location (i.e. large city) and the school's matriculant's average stats. So I'm really not sure what to look for now to justify my choices in the school's eyes and make them feel all special. I've been looking at schools' mission statements and other information in the MSAR, but honestly most of it is vague adjective-ridden stuff, and I don't feel that just parroting those things back to them is going to cut it. What other important factors should I be looking for (like where their students get their residency?) and how the heck do I find information like that?

I certainly believe that it is okay to say that reputation and location initially drew you to look at a particular school. However, it is imperative that you discern another reason for applying to the school. E.g. curriculum, extracurriculars, research opportunities, etc.

Make like a bird and sing "cheep cheep cheep".

Barring that, scan the school's website and memorize their selling points.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell them school rank, reputation, and prestige potential are your leading factors. They will be impressed by your ambition and honesty.

one word three times.........GIRLS...GIRLS...GIRLS!!!

yeah, something I like this. honestly it's hard to filter out anything useful and DIFFERENT from all the other schools.

honestly, i've been perusing through the different websites and it's REALLY hard for me to pick out points that distinctly define each school from the next. they all seem to claim to have the "best research opportunities", similar curriculum, blah blah blah.

any (sincere and) helpful pointers here?

honestly, i've been perusing through the different websites and it's REALLY hard for me to pick out points that distinctly define each school from the next. they all seem to claim to have the "best research opportunities", similar curriculum, blah blah blah.

Hint: Stanford's REALLY easy.

Yes, why don't you just tell them the REAL reason and stop trying to "find" one. If your reason is, "Hell, I need to add a lot of schools because this admissions process is a crapshoot and if you wanna win this lottery, you need a handful of tickets" - then SAY that.

It sounds like DUMB advice, right? Lemme ask you something: How many interviewees do you think actually say this? Probably a very rare few, if any. How might an interviewer feel about this response? Hmm, maybe they'd feel like you don't have a real interest in their school. That's fine, I'll address this next... but, lemme tell you their first reaction: "WOW. An honest person with a response that I don't normally hear! This person is not a fake, but are they really right for this school?"

---> now you step in and say stuff like, "That's the reason I applied in the first place, but now that I've visited the school and had a tour, I really like <so and so aspect> and judging from the materials I've read in your school's information packets/brochures, I'm impressed with <blah blah>." If you want more material, talk to current medical students, get their input, and factor that in to your evaluation of the school.

Anyway the point is stop trying to tell them what you think they want to hear. Tell them what's truthful and real. Supplement that with real stuff that you actually like about the school - often you won't even know what the hell that is until you've been to the school.

this is terrible advice. no interviewer/adcomm will want to hear/read that you just picked their school cause its any number of ones in that tier. you need to find real reasons or BS them. I bet username "adcomm" who IS an adcomm would say the same.

we all know the whole admissions process involves just a little bit of BS (don't get me wrong, as distinct from LYING), and med schools expect you to be able to do this as a doctor as well (what else does it mean when they want you to be able to handle things like medical hierarchy etc... that's playing right into the corporate side of medicine which, like the rest of the corporate world is an entire planet of bull****, and something that you need to be able to deal with).

this is terrible advice. no interviewer/adcomm will want to hear/read that you just picked their school cause its any number of ones in that tier.

rofl okay stick with the cookie-cutter crap and stop asking for other people's opinions???

I wrote stuff about joint programs they have and location - but not simply that I like your town, but because I like working with a certain patient demographic and I want to have the same (but also other different) opportunities to work with that demographic and really only urban cities (versus suburbs or rural) or schools with affiliations with lots of hospitals could do that for me.

I wrote stuff about joint programs they have and location - but not simply that I like your town, but because I like working with a certain patient demographic and I want to have the same (but also other different) opportunities to work with that demographic and really only urban cities (versus suburbs or rural) or schools with affiliations with lots of hospitals could do that for me.

Sounds like a good enough reason to me for having applied there in the first place. Make sure to expound on the features that you found appealing when you visited the school in person on the interview day (if you got a tour before the interview). Be enthusiastic, be polite and humble, and be honest.

Sounds like a good enough reason to me for having applied there in the first place. Make sure to expound on the features that you found appealing when you visited the school in person on the interview day (if you got a tour before the interview). Be enthusiastic, be polite and humble, and be honest.

Word. Sept 29 baby thats when I drop da hammer.

This is a great answer and one that I used a lot.

Other things, obviously dependent on you and the school:

compatibility with their mission (research, primary care, etc.)
history with the school (family ties, went there for undergrad)
reputation of the school (not so much US News, but things like, "Dr. X, who I shadowed at blah blah, spoke very highly of your school" or the work of a specific person)
makeup of student body
affiliated hospitals
structure of the curriculum (PBL/lecture/hybrid, electives, etc.)

It's not always a bad thing to talk about your connection to the area the school is in -- they do want to know that you are likely to attend if accepted so saying something like "I'm very glad you're in city X, because I have a strong family support system in the area" or "I like your location because it allows me to pursue hobby X" is totally fine -- it just shouldn't appear to be your only (or probably even primary) reason.

When shopping for medical schools, I based my decision on three criteria:
1. Geographical proximity to my family and my girlfriend (the Northeast).
2. A high percentage of students / graduates interested in primary care, like myself.
3. Welcoming to nontraditional applicants and non-science majors.

I don't see a problem with being upfront about any of these reasons. But the trick will be, once I receive an interview invite, reasearching specific examples I can give for how that particular school fits the latter two, so I look like I actually know the school somewhat.

Assume that every adcom understands the game well enough to know that most applicants a) have a long list of schools; b) have a top few on that list; and c) make their choices based on criteria a little more rational than reaching into a hat and pulling out a name.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to explain why you put school x on your list of 10-20 out of 100+ possibilities.