FAFSA and deferring med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shimmer118

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but here it is: med schools say "fill out the FAFSA for this year, even before you are positive you will be accepted." But what if I want to defer an acceptance? Should I still fill out the FAFSA this year?

In other words, should I fill out the FAFSA even though I am going to defer an acceptance if I get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know for sure where you're going and if they allow deferrals? I've heard that it varies widely from school to school.

Yes, I am pretty sure I know where I might be, and the schools do offer deferrals...I guess I should just fill it out and have wasted my time, rather than not fill it out and be in trouble. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not call the school's financial aid office and ask?

Originally posted by shimmer118:
•Yes, I am pretty sure I know where I might be, and the schools do offer deferrals...I guess I should just fill it out and have wasted my time, rather than not fill it out and be in trouble. ;) •••

I know that if you do get into the school that you are thinking about, and you do get a deferral (two important "if's" to consider), it will not be necessary to fill out a FASFA this year if you do end up deferring next year. Better safe then sorry though, if you end up going somewhere else, or if you end up not getting your deferral, you will be up a creek in terms of getting financial aid.