FAFSA and OSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandnew1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been accepted at Ohio State University and plan to matriculate as an out of state student. OOS tuition is quite steep at OSU (~$47,000), however the state allows students to achieve in state residency provided they go through the proper channels, which includes showing complete financial independence from one's parents.

My dilemma is that I estimate my total expenses to be around $70,000 the first year. Stafford loans will cover $38,500, leaving greater than $30,000 unaccounted. I have done some reading on the subject and understand that "Grad PLUS" and private lender loans can compensate for the rest. However, I have NO credit history (tried getting a CC once, was rejected) and am afraid that I will require a cosigner on the loans (my parents), which would make getting in state residency impossible for my second year at OSU.

If there are any students who have been/will be in similar situations, I would greatly appreciate any/all advice you could give.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.