• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

Sell or rent

• Total voters
Jan 23, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So, the time has come where I can say with certainty I will not be living in the same city I own my house starting next MD/DO academic year(So Juneish). I have been admitted out of state and waitlisted at another.

According to real estate websites (zillow,realtor,redfin,etc) I have about 150K in equity in the house I own. I realize closing costs and possible inaccuracies will likely draw that number down some but I believe there is a decent chunk of change to be made by selling.

FAFSA will still offer me full loans for second-year even with all that money being made correct?

Anyone have experience using a company like renters warehouse to rent it out with "insurance" so to speak? If so I could easily rent in my new college town with the profits from renting. I owe about 975 monthly and similar places around me are renting for about 1650 so even with substantial fees I am winning, at least in the current housing market.

dpmd

Relaxing
10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Lazytown
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So, the time has come where I can say with certainty I will not be living in the same city I own my house starting next MD/DO academic year(So Juneish). I have been admitted out of state and waitlisted at another.

According to real estate websites (zillow,realtor,redfin,etc) I have about 150K in equity in the house I own. I realize closing costs and possible inaccuracies will likely draw that number down some but I believe there is a decent chunk of change to be made by selling.

FAFSA will still offer me full loans for second-year even with all that money being made correct?

Anyone have experience using a company like renters warehouse to rent it out with "insurance" so to speak? If so I could easily rent in my new college town with the profits from renting. I owe about 975 monthly and similar places around me are renting for about 1650 so even with substantial fees I am winning, at least in the current housing market.
It won't matter for getting loans, just for need based aid. No experience with using a company to rent it out.

Reactions: 1 user

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
www.whitecoatinvestor.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Assets count against you on the FAFSA, but not nearly as much as income does. More on the formula here:

Personally, I'd probably use that money to pay for a year or two of school and skip the loans.

Reactions: 1 users

BorntobeDO?

7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
Sold my house prior to medschool for less equity than your talking about but still a decent amount. It never went as far as I thought it would and I basically avoided only credit card debt, and had some money to help with relocations/apps. Even with a family and getting food stamps for a good portion of med school I still feel I would have been better off renting my old house. I had a very similar differential between rent and monthly payments as you do and I think I would have been better off keeping the house. Also my house rose an additional 50k+ In value during medical school. If you can make it work, rent will be the better option long term.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.