FAFSA Help~ Do I file Parent's information, even if I'm an independent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been an independent as of earlier this year, supporting my parents for the past few months.

I am listing myself as an independent (I have to because I filed my own taxes?), and am wondering if I should list my parent's information from last year (income of $30,000).

Members don't see this ad.

I have been an independent as of earlier this year, supporting my parents for the past few months.

I am listing myself as an independent (I have to because I filed my own taxes?), and am wondering if I should list my parent's information from last year (income of $30,000).

Is this for undergraduate FA or med school?

If it is for Medical School than a definite yes. Some scholarships require that information. If for undergrad, you don't need to unless you are applying for some need-based scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it. Some schools require it for financial aid and you don't want to be in a position where the school you end up matriculating at requires parents' info on FAFSA regardless of your status but you chose not to enter it.

From what I remember for the FAFSA you can just say that you're independent and your taxes should prove it. But when you apply with amcas you have to put your parents info, even if you are independent (very annoying I know, I was in the same boat).