1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

FAFSA & Loss of Anonymity

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Rocky6, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Rocky6

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you are still on a few waitlists and waiting to hear from a few schools, how can you go about and file FAFSA without losing anonymity since the 5 other schools will see all the schools that you want the FAFSA sent to? Is there any way around this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee
    2+ Year Member

I was under the impression that schools could not see the other schools to which you sent the information.

4. Stolenspatulas

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    this is kind of not related: what is the code for u of penn school of medicine? (i couldnt find it via search on the website so i just used the code for Penn ugrad).

i think the schools do not get the list, but this is just a guess.

5. mr burrito

mr burrito SOCMOB
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    penn: 003378

6. Stolenspatulas

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thats the ugrad though...? (thats what i'm using as of now)

7. mr burrito

mr burrito SOCMOB
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well thats what i used too, so maybe we can be roommates at the undergrad.

8. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're not "losing anonymity" by listing all 6 schools you have in mind on your FAFSA application because it doesn't really reveal much. It only tells the other schools what schools you're "eyeing" but it doesn't tell them your status. It doesn't even tell them whether you've applied there.

And it would be pretty stupid of any school to make a decision off of a FAFSA application anyway, because literally ANYONE can file a FAFSA and list any schools (even if they never took the MCAT or submit an AMCAS app).

And most schools even tell their interviewed and/or waitlisted applicants to go ahead and file a FAFSA even though such applicants may neither get in at that particular school nor into any medical school at all.

9. Anjlprincezz

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    should u send the FAFSA to schools ur waiting to hear from or ar waitlisted at? or should u/can u just add schools later, after an acceptance?

10. Ladyfingers

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Send the FAFSA to all schools which you might possibly go to. This means schools you are waitlisted at, schools you have yet to interview at, etc. It is better to send it before the deadline and get it taken care of than after and have more work for you to do. It doesn't hurt to have multiple schools.

11. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    its a legitimate concern, but I doubt financial aid offices conspire with the admissions committee in this manner.

12. legobikes

legobikes bikes made of lego
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    which FAFSA are we supposed to fill anyway?
    if you're interviewing right now wouldn't it be the 2007-2008 fafsa? and if so, then isn't the deadline very far off?

13. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No.. And if you are in Michigan the priority filing deadline is in an hour. (March 1st).

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before003a.htm

14. Ladyfingers

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Most deadlines are March 1st or 2nd if you want to be considered for a lot of aid.

15. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm seeing the earliest state deadlines (for the schools I applied to) in May and the federal deadline in the end of June. Are you saying that I may not be able to get enough loans to cover my med school tuition/fees/cost of living if I don't send out my FAFSA in the next day or two? I haven't even had my frist interview yet (march 14th)

16. legobikes

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    wow. I applied for my pin just earlier today. maybe I can still do the paper version.

also weirdly NY's deadline is a full year ahead? (March 1st 2008)

17. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The deadlines aren't as far off as you think or wish. Most schools have March deadlines. Others want you to file it as soon as possible.

18. legobikes

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I really don't get how the 2006-2007 fafsa makes sense for someone applying to med schools starting fall 2007.

also I am unable to answer this question correctly:
    How many in question 84 will be college students, attending at least half time between July 1, 2006, and June 30, 2007 (question 85)?

UH ZERO

19. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I called FAFSA and they said that you must enter 1 for yourself.

20. legobikes

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    oh. thanks.

21. Chulito

Chulito El feucho
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think you should do the paper version. It has to be received before the deadline; it isn't enough that you get it sent and post-marked before the deadline. You use the PIN to sign your electronic form, but another option that doesn't require the PIN is to submit the electronic form, then download and print a hard-copy signature form and send it in via the USPS. I was afraid that my PIN wasn't going to come in time, so I called one of my schools, and they said that I could submit the FAFSA electronically before the deadline, then send in the signature form a couple of days late. The form would still be counted as having arrived before the deadline, even though the signature arrived late.

22. Chulito

Chulito El feucho
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    All of my schools have deadlines of either February 28th or March 15th if you want to be considered for anything other than Stafford and subsidized Stafford loans. It's definitely time to get moving on it.

23. Chulito

Chulito El feucho
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    All of my schools except one use the same number for undergrad and the medical school.

24. legobikes

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ok great. :)

25. legobikes

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can anyone explain why exactly they say this on the fafsa?

26. Chulito

Chulito El feucho
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For whatever reason, lots (most? all?) of med schools use that information when figuring out the aid that they will give you above and beyond the government loans that you get. All 18 of my schools require it if you want to be considered for their institutional aid. I can't imagine why this is the case. I've been completely independent from my parents and living in a different city for 15 years. Even if they had any money, I *certainly* wouldn't ask them for it. Apparently the government takes the same position as I do, since they consider me independent, but med schools don't.

27. davee

davee New Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what if your parents wont let you put their info on the fafsa, if i dont put their info down am i out of luck for institutional aid? even if im pretty much independent now and will be 100% independent during med school?

28. For most (if not all) you want to use the 2007-2008 form (on which you will report financial information from 2006 -- the data that you use for your tax return you file by Apr 2007).

Basically which form of the FAFSA you use is dependent on when your school starts... So since most med schools start in Aug. 2007, we use the 2007-2008 form. I believe the last start date eligible to use the 2006-2007 form is sometime in July 2007.

29. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The logic behind asking you your parent's income is this:

Most folks who graduate college have "false poverty". They make little or no money. Asking you your parents income gives schools a better idea of if you actually grew up poor or not. Even wealthy kids look poor on paper as they graduate.

This isn't an exact science, since you may have grown up with the silver spoon but your folks' business tanked in the last four years. Or alternately, you may have grown up poor but your folks' got a dream job. But it's the best they have.

30. FAFSA considers you independent, therefore you will be eligible for unsubsidized Stafford loans regardless.

However, you do still need to list your parental information (unfortunately). The following is copy/pasted from the FAFSA Help section:

Health Profession students must provide parents' information. Although your parents' information is required on your application, your parents' signature is not required.

If you do not know whether your course of study is a health profession program, contact the schools financial aid office

31. legobikes

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    aargh.

this makes much more sense to me but everyone else was insisting that it's 2006-2007.

32. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    At that point you'll have to talk to your school. Most (if they require parental info for institutional aid) will make you appeal formally, and you will have to prove that your parents give you no money, you've been independent for sometime, etc. etc. (so if you're 22 years old who just graduated from college on your parents money you're not gonna convince them).

But yeah - you need to call your individual schools and find out how to do it. But its gonna be a whole lot of extra hoops to jump through and in the end you may find out you get your stafford loans and thats it.