Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

FAFSA: Mandatory?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GoodMorning, Jan 5, 2009.

1. GoodMorning

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Please forgive me for this question, I would appreciate if I were not chewed out for asking:

Is the FAFSA mandatory for all matriculating students? I did not do it for college, and I will be ineligible for need-based grants.

I am not planning on taking out any loans, so I'm under the impression that I do not need to. However I would hate to find out months from now that schools need my financial information regardless.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

2. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Unless Mommy and Daddy are writing a check for the full amount, yes, you need to fill it out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MedMan25

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You only need to fill out a FAFSA if you are applying for financial aid.

4. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm pretty sure you will need to fill out FAFSA for govt loans, which you will want because they have better interest rates. You just won't need to put in your parental information.

5. silverhorse84

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I was just wondering this too. I called a school this morning to make sure they got my deposit and the secretary said something like "oh yeah and if you have any questions about FASFA feel free to call fin aid."

But the military is paying, so I'm guessing I don't need to....right? :oops:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i see your point, but honestly, i would do it just in case you ended up needing loan money... you just never know what could happen... you won't lose anything if you do it, other than those few hours of actually filling out the application...

:luck:

7. shiftingmirage

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Only need it if you're requesting financial aide or loans. If you are paying out of pocket, then you do not need to fill it out.

8. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you don't want loans, scholarships, or grants, and you have >250k in the bank then don't fill out the FAFSA. Also, if you don't fill out parental information you are not eligible for need-based loans, scholarships, grants, or institutional aid.

9. 236116

School dependent.

10. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member

Attending Physician
    True, but not only does parental info not hurt you, you aren't getting any Perkins loans without filling in parental information. Also, most schools do require parental info to be considered for any scholarships. That's the reason it states right in the FAFSA application that health professions students should consider adding parental information despite being considered independent for FAFSA purposes.

11. 236116

Really? I didn't know that about Perkins, where did you hear that?

12. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Perkins are 5k worth of need-based federal loans given to institutionally selected few students who meet the eligibility requirements. At Wayne you have to be under 18k EFC including parental information to receive them and scholarships like the Board of Gov scholarships at 9k a year. So what the FAFSA tells you is only your personal FAFSA EFC (usually 0). You have to do online calculators to estimate it.

It is institutional specific on requirements and how they give them out since the school decides and not the federal government. Most schools that give them out require more forms about income and a general scholarship application form.

#12 TMP-SMX, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  13. funkymunkytoes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Fill it out. It takes an hour, and it can't hurt. Even if you are lucky enough to have parents that will pay for all of it, I would still fill it out. If your numbers are solid, you could be in line for institutional aid--you never know

14. GoodMorning

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So, if you want to be considered for merit money, you need to fill out the FAFSA?

15. indianstar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No, you do not need to fill it out. I only filled it out my first year of college and never did again because it didn't help. And to answer your most recent question, you should contact your institution about merit money. Different schools have different policies. But if the merit is only based on academic achievment, then the aid would probably be based off of your GPA and/or MCAT score.

#15 indianstar, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009