FAFSA necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chumpana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry to ask such a dumb question....

but if you know you won't be receiving any need based financial aid, do you have to fill FAFSA out (don't worry about stafford loans etc.)? Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'd ask your schools, but I can't think of a reason that if you're going to be paying the full sticker price of tuition that you'd have to.

Larsitron said:
I'd ask your schools, but I can't think of a reason that if you're going to be paying the full sticker price of tuition that you'd have to.
If you're looking for any federal institutional aid or any federal loans, then you need to fill out the FAFSA. That means if you want need or merit based anything or any federal loans, subsidized or unsubsidized, fill it out. If you are going to pay everything out of pocket and aren't even going to apply for any federal or institutional money, then no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank-you both very much. I'm pretty fortunate to have parents who want to(and insist) on paying.

My dad is pretty sure that we will get no financial assistance. I'll call the schools and see... but by the time he gets his taxes in order, the deadlines will be fast approaching :rolleyes:

ah well. thanks again :)

I would fill it out, even if you think your EFC will be greater than cost of education. My parents are in that boat with some of my younger siblings and undergrad. You can still get loan money EVEN IF your need is low or negligable. Not sure about the subsidized/unsubsidized balance. I just filled out mine, and it was very easy.

And I believe you can estimate tax info if you don't have everything done.

chopper said:
I would fill it out, even if you think your EFC will be greater than cost of education. My parents are in that boat with some of my younger siblings and undergrad. You can still get loan money EVEN IF your need is low or negligable. Not sure about the subsidized/unsubsidized balance. I just filled out mine, and it was very easy.

And I believe you can estimate tax info if you don't have everything done.

Thanks. I'm gonna go ahead and fill it out... just in case.

yeah, the stafford loans actually have really good interest rates. for some people it may actually make sense to take the money out in loans anyway, if you can, because you may be able to get better returns on cash and assets you already have now.