fafsa... parents are divorced, my mom is getting another divorce.. who's income?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my fafsa situation. My parents are divored and my mom is getting another divorce that will be final in february. She is on disability due to brain surgery she had because of cancer, so she doesn't work. I think it would be in my best interest to use just her income from the disability, but can i legally do this?

I live equally with my mom and dad. Does anyone know who's income I am suppose to use?

Thanks you so much for your help

Members don't see this ad.

You are required to use information from the parent you lived with more during the past year, or the parent that provided the most financial support. If that parent were married during last year and they file jointly, then you would include the information from their taxes. It does not matter what the parent makes right now but rather what the parent filed on their tax return.

Since you say you lived with both parents equally, then you should use information from the parent that provided the most financial support.

fun8stuff said:
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my fafsa situation. My parents are divored and my mom is getting another divorce that will be final in february. She is on disability due to brain surgery she had because of cancer, so she doesn't work. I think it would be in my best interest to use just her income from the disability, but can i legally do this?

I live equally with my mom and dad. Does anyone know who's income I am suppose to use?

Thanks you so much for your help

No, you do not use parental information on the FAFSA if you are applying to medical school. This information is only used for undergrad. You may need to submit this information to the individual school if requested.

When the FAFSA asks you if you want to submit the parental info, simple state that you do not. It is not needed for the aid calculation since you are considered independent.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
No, you do not use parental information on the FAFSA if you are applying to medical school. This information is only used for undergrad. You may need to submit this information to the individual school if requested.

When the FAFSA asks you if you want to submit the parental info, simple state that you do not. It is not needed for the aid calculation since you are considered independent.

You only have to put down parental information if you wish to be eligible for institiutional grants and scholarships. If you can do fine on federal loans you can exclude parental information. As the school's financial aid office for clarification on whether parental information is required or not.

mpp said:
You only have to put down parental information if you wish to be eligible for institiutional grants and scholarships. If you can do fine on federal loans you can exclude parental information. As the school's financial aid office for clarification on whether parental information is required or not.

so you have to include that data for the school and not the federal government right?

eldarion3141 said:
so you have to include that data for the school and not the federal government right?

correct

But if you do include parents' info on the FAFSA, does that change your status for federal loans? I'm planning to include parental information so that I can qualify for institutional funding, but I don't want to compromise what I'm going to be able to get federally. I'm 32 and I support myself, so obviously I'd like to keep my status as an independent.

pushkin said:
But if you do include parents' info on the FAFSA, does that change your status for federal loans? I'm planning to include parental information so that I can qualify for institutional funding, but I don't want to compromise what I'm going to be able to get federally. I'm 32 and I support myself, so obviously I'd like to keep my status as an independent.

No. For medical students:

The FAFSA cannot use parental information in any way, shape, or form.