FAFSA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bw07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does college=med school?

I'll be starting M1 this August and am second guessing the questions while filling out FAFSA on the web. Question 85 asks how many people are in the student's household. I entered 3 (myself, two parents). Then Question 86 asks, how many will be college students in the 2003-2004 school year?

I'm just wondering whether when they say "college" they actually mean strictly college, or whether it's just a loose term for post-secondary education.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You actually have 1 person in your household, because despite the fact that you have to include your parents data, you are considered independant by the federal gov't for the purpose of getting federal aid.

Your parents have 2 persons in their household. Someone is in college if they will attend an institution of higher learning, and have a registrar's office that can give them a letter certifying that they are enrolled half time or more. So medical school and culinary school are both considered "college" if that is clearer.

Wow, thanks for the concise response :)

FAFSA caught my mistake when I entered 3 as the number of people in my household and listed 0 dependents. Makes sense now that you've explained it.

Thanks again :)