FAIL ABIM BUT PASS AOBIM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x3aks

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what happens if one takes ABIM and fails but passes the AOBIM. Are we required by ABIM to retake the ABIM and be in passing standing and be certified. Or is it enough to be AOBIM certified. Is there a rule out there (per ABIM) that says that you cannot be uncertified by ABIM and must repeat the ABIM in case you fail it, even though you are certified by AOBIM? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was wondering what happens if one takes ABIM and fails but passes the AOBIM. Are we required by ABIM to retake the ABIM and be in passing standing and be certified. Or is it enough to be AOBIM certified. Is there a rule out there (per ABIM) that says that you cannot be uncertified by ABIM and must repeat the ABIM in case you fail it, even though you are certified by AOBIM? Thank you.
As long as your employer/hospital only requires one, you only need to pass one.

That said, if you are planning to do an ABIM fellowship, you must be ABIM certified in order to sit for an ABIM sub-specialty exam.

Reactions: 3 users
As long as your employer/hospital only requires one, you only need to pass one.

That said, if you are planning to do an ABIM fellowship, you must be ABIM certified in order to sit for an ABIM sub-specialty exam.

In order to be able to sit for osteopathic boards you need to be a do, and/or completed a do residency. and i would be very surprised if someone who failed the abim was able to pass the aboim exam without a significant change in studying habits.

Reactions: 1 user