failed 2nd year, 236/99 on step 1 - back in the running?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globallmedicine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i, thanks for your time for just reading this. here's the situation:

M1 and 1st semester M2: passed at about 20th percentile
M2 (second semester): failed
Repeat M2 (whole year): honored
Step 1: 236/99

With a strong M3, am I back in the running for the most competitive specialties?
Anyone who has found him or herself in similar shoes have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

i, thanks for your time for just reading this. here's the situation:

M1 and 1st semester M2: passed at about 20th percentile
M2 (second semester): failed
Repeat M2 (whole year): honored
Step 1: 236/99

With a strong M3, am I back in the running for the most competitive specialties?
Anyone who has found him or herself in similar shoes have any advice?

First off, did you mean that you passed at the 80th %ile (a comfortable B) or the 20th %ile of people who passed (i.e. you barely squeaked by w/ a C-)?

Depends on a number of factors but the likelihood that you're going to match an integrated plastics program, Neurosurgery, Rad Onc or Derm is vanishingly small. Gen Surg? Probably. EM, Gas, Rads? Probably. IM, Peds, FP, no problem although you won't be getting invites from Hopkins, UCSF and Columbia.

Assuming you rock the next year, your med school will be the next biggest determinant of how many interviews you get and from where. If you're at middle-of-nowhere state then your failure of M2 will weigh more than if you're at Mayo. If you're an IMG then aim low and apply broadly.

In reality, it's way too early to be stressing out about this unless you've dreamed of being a Neurosurgeon since you were 2, have shadowed one since you were 6 and know that it's the only possible career for you. Even if you've got an idea of what you want to be when you grow up, 3rd year changes a lot of people's minds.

thanks, brooklyn. in 20th percentile, i meant the latter, ie "barely squeaked by"

does that change your general assessment?

thanks for your time

Wouldn't you like to know? Unfortunately, you can't know the answer for sure, so all you can do is suck it up and try different rotations during 3rd year -- including highly competitive fields like rad onc, plastics, neurosurg, etc if you're interested -- and find out what you like. I agree with the previous poster's approximation about your probable chances of getting a job in the above named specialties, and in the others. But what can you do -- you still have to try them out if you're interested, and if you like them you probably should still give yourself a chance by applying (even with a back-up plan or back-up specialty).

Yeah, you struggled during the first couple of years, but you recovered, got good grades finally, and passed the boards with flying colors. That's the positive side of your application. It doesn't mean the negative (flunking 2nd year) will not show up in your application, but it does mean you have the opportunity to write out and practice some really good interview answers for how you struggled, what you learned, how you dealt with discouragement, and how you overcame your difficulties and became successful. When you send in your applications, say that and sell it.

I didn't have to repeat a year, but a long time ago I did have to remediate a couple of classes with repeat practical exams. I barely squeaked by during my first and second year as well, then recovered to get a board score like yours and matched very well in a moderately competitive specialty. I considered a highly competitive specialty as well, but alas, after 3 hours of it I was bored and decided not to go into it.

At this point in your career, you cannot predict what type of work (i.e. what specialties) you will like. You also should not count yourself completely out of the running for any particular field -- if interested, give it a try.

When you finally pick one, I highly recommend doing an away elective if you are a normal (not offensive, rude, or nasty) person.

just a sidenote, but is a 236 considered a 99 (2 digit score) these days? I really have no clue...

Agree with the above advice - definitely try hard to rock your third year rotations (not like you weren't going to try anyway!).

I think it's 236/95.

I might disagree a bit with some of the others. You barely got by first year and failed second year. Basically the only thing that seems to stand out and indicate any thought of a competitive field was you had a good day of test taking with Step I. It's important but one would have to wonder why the disconnect in grades and Step performance?? Are you a bright person who's lazy?

I don't know the answer to that but I think you'll need a strong track record for third year and be more than ready to explain your early performance. I hope it works out for you but I think one needs more than just a step score to score a competitive residency.

checked again - my score was 236/99

don't think it really means much.

thanks for all your input, guys! fyi, i got an email from my dean, and from her perspective, with a strong 3rd year my choice will not be limited for residency.

unless they changed the scoring since my year, no. i got above a 236 by a wee bit and it wasn't quite a 99 yet.

Actually the scoring changes nearly every year. The 2-digit score relation to the 3-digit score is adjusted so that whatever 3-digit score is passing (which can change yearly) equals a 75 on the 2-digit scale. So to compare year-to-year, you really need to use the 2-digit score which nobody ever does.