Failed a class... Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amedica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it turns out I received a "not pass" grade on a pass/not pass course I took last semester. It was a language class and nonessential for neither my major nor graduation. I'm really worried how this will affect things.

1.) will the AAMCAS take this into consideration in calculating my GPA? My school doesn't factor in pass/not pass courses as part of GPA

2.) I wish I had some extenuating circumstance I could list as the reason why I didn't pass this class, but other than the fact that I'm atrocious at learning new languages, this class was a huge time sink that made me prioritize my other science classes over this one, and I simply did not devote enough time to school and studying, I have none. How will this affect my application as a whole? Have I completely ruined my chances of getting into medical school?

3.) If my situation can be salvaged, then what can I do to make my application better? My GPA is otherwise really good (3.80c, 3.79 BCPM), but I just let myself go this semester.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe that pass fail counts towards your GPA, and you can probably explain it on your application/in an interview. It also might be helpful to retake it and pass, however I don't think it would be that big a deal if you didn't.

Well I don't think I can adequately explain this on my application; I have no valid excuse that forgives my grade. Would it be better for me to retake? I am a little hesitant to do so because I'm planning on applying this June and this course is offered in the Fall, so I would have have this "unremedied" blemish on my application which might make adcoms turn the other way when they see it. Maybe I should hold off on applying if this will hurt me too much?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I don't think I can adequately explain this on my application; I have no valid excuse that forgives my grade. Would it be better for me to retake? I am a little hesitant to do so because I'm planning on applying this June and this course is offered in the Fall, so I would have have this "unremedied" blemish on my application which might make adcoms turn the other way when they see it. Maybe I should hold off on applying if this will hurt me too much?

It will not affect your AMCAS cGPA or sGPA. Just retake the class and pass it, there's no need to panic.

Yes, but another problem is that because this class is only offered in the fall and I'm applying this coming June, I will have submitted my application before having retaken the class. Will this be an issue insomuch as adcoms not being able to recognize my attempt at correcting the grade by retaking? Should I consider waiting another year to apply because of this?

Yes, but another problem is that because this class is only offered in the fall and I'm applying this coming June, I will have submitted my application before having retaken the class. Will this be an issue insomuch as adcoms not being able to recognize my attempt at correcting the grade by retaking? Should I consider waiting another year to apply because of this?
One isolated language class isn't going to make or break your application. Focus on doing well on the courses that matter. If asked about this, just be sincere, even if it means to say that you had a hard time with learning a new language.

Quit fussing; you're fine. Your numbers are stellar, and they're the numbers that count.
Here's the worst case scenario; it's something I've asked in an interview when I see an otherwise great academic performance marred by a single F (or D). "So what happened in that [X] class?"

One isolated language class isn't going to make or break your application. Focus on doing well on the courses that matter. If asked about this, just be sincere, even if it means to say that you had a hard time with learning a new language.

Thanks for the reassurances. One thing I'm especially wrestling with is whether or not I should actually retake. I mean, if the worst case scenario relating to this is being asked about it in an interview, then it doesn't seem like it would make that big of an impact if I don't retake. Plus, if I don't retake I could actually graduate a semester early (it would save me from taking a 5 unit class), saving a whole semester's worth of tuition, which would really help with softening med school loans. Also, I could get a job and have over six months to relax and prepare myself for med school. But at the same time, I want to apply to CA med schools (preferably get into a UC if I can get my mcat score high enough) and don't want my chances for those to go down any more than by what cannot be helped. I guess what I'm trying to say is, would it be worth it to retake this class, or am I better off not bothering to retake it because the benefits would outweigh the costs?

Thanks for the replies, I'd forgotten about this thread when it got buried and never realized it got moved.

Thanks for the reassurances. One thing I'm especially wrestling with is whether or not I should actually retake. I mean, if the worst case scenario relating to this is being asked about it in an interview, then it doesn't seem like it would make that big of an impact if I don't retake. Plus, if I don't retake I could actually graduate a semester early (it would save me from taking a 5 unit class), saving a whole semester's worth of tuition, which would really help with softening med school loans. Also, I could get a job and have over six months to relax and prepare myself for med school. But at the same time, I want to apply to CA med schools (preferably get into a UC if I can get my mcat score high enough) and don't want my chances for those to go down any more than by what cannot be helped. I guess what I'm trying to say is, would it be worth it to retake this class, or am I better off not bothering to retake it because the benefits would outweigh the costs?

Thanks for the replies, I'd forgotten about this thread when it got buried and never realized it got moved.

You never want to leave a crap stain such as a F on your transcript without redeeming it. So, I personally think you should retake and at least get a B in the class. Don't just leave a F on your transcript.

Ok, last question: should I retake for a grade or for Pass/Notpass? Last semester I took it for P/NP; so do I need to take it for a letter grade?

Ok, last question: should I retake for a grade or for Pass/Notpass? Last semester I took it for P/NP; so do I need to take it for a letter grade?
I wouldn't retake a P/NP grade. Just let it go.

There are many mixed opinions about this, I believe it kind of depends on the schools you will be applying to. I'm confident that top tiers would want to know why you didnt pass while low tiers might just forget about it due to your high gpa.

Failing one language class that's on a P/F system doesn't even matter. It doesn't even get factored into your GPAs i think. Now failing THREE classes including one science class? Yea - that's something to hate yourself over.