Failed a class -- What do I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pigtail McGee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, the worse thing has happened. All that the late night studying and stressing, did not pay off. I have failed a class. What do I do now?

I go to LSUHSC - New Orleans where it is subject based and last semester we had a course that is Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology combined. I failed that course and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to expect for a summer remediation course.

Better yet, does anyone have any idea where they might offer the summer remediation course? I have yet to figure it out. :(

Also, how would this effect my step and residency match?

So, let me recap all my questions (who doesn't like summaries?):

1. What should I expect in a summer remediation course for Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology?
2. Where would this course take place or where can I find information on this?
3. How will this effect my Step 1 -- how long after the summer remediation class should I prepare and take step 1?
4. How will this effect residency matching -- Will I be doomed forever??

There are plenty of threads on the subject of failing one class and the impact on match/residency/boards. Use the search button and read them.

Your first stop should be your Dean of Students who can advise you as to your specific options in terms of the school that you attend. Schools have different ways of allowing students to remediate a failure. You should also have a look at your student handbook to make sure you know all of the immediate ramifications of your course failure.

You need to look in your student handbook or talk to an admin at your school to figure out what you need to do.
A lot of schools, you just self study and then take a make-up exam.

As for Step, future, etc.

Make sure you have enough time to prep for Step 1.
Even if this means you have to eat up all your vacation time for the rest of med school. You already have strike 1, you don't want strike 2.

For all but the most competitive fields and/or programs, failing 1 pre-clinical course shouldn't have the biggest impact.
That is assumming the rest of your app is solid.

There are probably a decent number of students in your class who failed a course. Most just don't advertise this fact. They will match somewhere and so will you.

Just try to figure out what you did wrong and don't do it again.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I did read some of the threads and they were quite helpful. I was just hoping to get more specific information on the microbiology course remediation in case any of the members who have had a similar experience can give me some in sight with more specifics.

As for the student handbook, I didn't even know that would be a place to look. Thanks for that tip. I'll definitely look that up next. :)

Figure out why/how you failed the class to begin with. You don't want to do the same thing in a different class and fail that one too.

Talk to Dean of Student Affairs or whoever at your school deals with this and they will tell you where you go from here as far as remediation and you can ask them about impact on the future.

Oh and try not to over-stress the rest of your preclinical stuff. You failed one course but don't let it get you down and affect you. Just keep looking forward.