Failed a class!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusion

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I failed a class, and got a series of C's in some classes, and one A, my freshman year, first semester. 2nd semester should be quite an improvement, and after having been in college for a year, I know I could kick ass in the sophomore, junior, and senior years. However, still, the damage has been done. Should I give up my dream of doing medicine? If I can get my Cum., including a bad first semester, back to a 3.4 or 3.6, will I get in? I know I could do well on the MCAT b/c I'd study hardcore. Please advise me with reality...thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

no way ...you failed a class~!!!!
you cant be a doctor now..
even if you bring that crappy gpa of urs..
so..just be a bum

The confused freshman...=P

Confusion,

Many, many med students have had experiences such as yours. Adcoms are accustomed to seeing a freshman "adjustment period", to put it euphemistically. Just make sure your grades from now on are excellent. Sometimes the best lessons are those learned the hard way. If anything, your ability to turn this around and be an academic star for the next 3 1/2 years will demonstrate a degree of maturity and ability to learn from mistakes -- both desirable qualities in med students.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with BESYONECK.

Don't let popoman's comments deter from your goal. He/She needs to take his/her virtual crayon and scrawl on someone else's wall.

See you on rounds.

Confusion- I also failed a class during my freshman year- General Chem. Further, I was booted from the accelerated BA/MD program I was in. I continued to underachieve, finishing my sophomore year with a 2.7 GPA. At that point I transferred colleges, got serious about my studies, and had to work my behind off to bring up my grades. I ended up graduating after 4 more years with a 3.4 GPA, double major. I had also taken advantage of opportunities to study abroad and participate in research- including an undergrad research thesis. I must assume that the admissions committee was more concerned with my performance in the final years than the first two or I surely would not have been accepted! Point is- I think they understand that some people are not focused in their first years of college. They just want to be convinced that you have the potential, know how to overcome setbacks, and will work hard to achieve your goals. Heck, maybe the obstacles we create for ourselves function to help demonstrate our resiliency and abibility to persevere! I say forgive yourself the mistakes, work hard on your GPA and MCAT prep, and if medicine is the path you choose in the end, there is no reason you shouldn't achieve your goal.