Failed a course - M3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsFutureDoc123

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post!

So I'm devastated after failing a course at the end of my M3 year. I have an >245 step 1, likely a high step 2, all HP for M3 year, except for our school specific "Ambulatory clerkship" course where we are required to take an OSCE. Unfortunately, and it is totally my fault, I failed the OSCE portion despite passing everything else. I now have a "remediated pass" on my transcript. I wanted to apply to EM or anesthesia but I'm scared that I ruined my chances. I have away rotations and everything set up and now my confidence is shot. I just wanted to hear if anyone else thinks this is the end of the road for these professions.

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know why you failed? If you were sick or some other reason that caused you to perform poorly on the OSCE, I would think that explains it somewhat. Otherwise I don't think that it will rule you out for most programs, but I would be prepared to answer questions about it.

Honestly, I prepared for everything on it and thought I had it all down. When I was in the room and the pressure was on, I forgot to do a lot of physical exam stuff that I normally would do. No excuses for myself unfortunately, but it still hurts.

I guess it’s better than having to remediate one of the main clerkships like fm, neuro, IM etc..but I’d rather it not have happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, first post!

So I'm devastated after failing a course at the end of my M3 year. I have an >245 step 1, likely a high step 2, all HP for M3 year, except for our school specific "Ambulatory clerkship" course where we are required to take an OSCE. Unfortunately, and it is totally my fault, I failed the OSCE portion despite passing everything else. I now have a "remediated pass" on my transcript. I wanted to apply to EM or anesthesia but I'm scared that I ruined my chances. I have away rotations and everything set up and now my confidence is shot. I just wanted to hear if anyone else thinks this is the end of the road for these professions.

Thanks in advance :)

You’ll survive this. Some programs might be turned off by it, but if it’s your only blemish, you’ll be ok. I think passing step 2 CS early might help reassure programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much for the feedback. Right now my CS is scheduled for October, but maybe I will try to move it up if a date opens so I can take it and show them this was a fluke.

Completely agree with @ACSurgeon . It can look bad, especially because it’s a clerkship and those are generally big factors in determining an applicant’s merit, but on the other hand it is not a systemic problem, was due to nerves on one day, there are no other red flags, and you remediated the activity promptly/appropriately. Try to have your dean’s letter reflect positive comments for the clerkship in question and meet with the clerkship director to see what will be written in the dean’s letter portion and see if you can have some role in what is said or atleast be prepared for what it says. Schools when looking at the tx. may look at the letter for an explanation. Other than that, be transparent on interviews and have an answer prepared when asked (you may very well be on a few interviews and that’s a good sign, they’re looking for a reason to keep you)and take Step 2 CS early and have a passing score. Lastly, don’t lose too much sleep over this. I don’t anticipate it will have a major effect on your matching prospects (it won’t knock you down a tier, etc. unless you’re gunning for Harvard) but it may hurt you relative to another all else (Step scores, clerkship grades, etc.) being equal.

Regarding the situation though, you need to do some serious reflection. You failed something students normally pass because schools don’t like to put things on transcripts that distinguish you negatively like that. Before doing that though, don’t assume like you’re alone. Imagine how bad you feel and how you had to come on an anonymous website to share your secret. Anyone else who is equally as intelligent as you may have felt the same way and is hiding their secret. Even though you attribute it to nerves, dig deeper! How could you remember the essentials for the future even if you break down completely? You’re considering EM and remembering to adapt to a variety of situations and ask/perform different historical questions/physical exam maneuvers is a large part of the daily job. Think of a near fool-proof system and always be vigilant about these sorts of situations in the future and see every future patient as an encounter to practice and overcome this weakness. If you do that, you shouldn’t have issues in the future. :)

Tl;dr This won’t stop you from matching at an outstanding EM/Anesthesia program and there’s absolutely no need to consider other fields or what kind of places you’re applying to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users