Failed all classes in college 8 years ago...am I doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UPDATE:

My promotion at work came much earlier due to an involuntary termination of someone two levels above me. I have been in the job for 3 months now, and hate it. Not just a little, a lot.

Spent 40 hours at two hospitals shadowing, and loved it. I got puked on once, which was not fun :laugh:. I think I am going to go back to school.

If I can manage to get my "Fs" turned into "Ws" at the CC, will this help substantially?

Thanks,

Duh...yes, it will help substantially.

"Hating your job/life" is not a very good motivation for attending med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Just go back to school if that's what you want, pretend it doesn't exist, and apply if you can make it. When you apply, you can figure out if you want to disclose those grades.

People here will tell you it's wrong and unethical, but they are the same people using any advantage they can to get ahead, and faced with the same thing, they would not disclose either. There are many people who haven't disclosed who have made it all the way through.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are nothing if not perisistent.

Backhanded compliment?

Do you think that "I hate my job and life" is the best motivation for jumping into this game?

Hate your job? Get another one.

Hate your life? Not sure I see how jumping in the 10+ year post bacc / med school / residency tunnel is the solution.

Just go back to school if that's what you want, pretend it doesn't exist, and apply if you can make it. When you apply, you can figure out if you want to disclose those grades.

People here will tell you it's wrong and unethical, but they are the same people using any advantage they can to get ahead, and faced with the same thing, they would not disclose either. There are many people who haven't disclosed who have made it all the way through.

Speaking from experience here, chief?

Nope, I even moved from the US well before applying to med schools in Europe, in fact.

Nice try, sweetie.

Backhanded compliment?

Do you think that "I hate my job and life" is the best motivation for jumping into this game?

Hate your job? Get another one.

Hate your life? Not sure I see how jumping in the 10+ year post bacc / med school / residency tunnel is the solution.

Sure, this makes sense if you ignore everything he posted explaining his motivations and just go with the information in the first post.

Seems akin to looking at an initial assessment of a patient and ignoring all the following tests while trying to diagnose.

The OP just needs to go back to college, go to a 4 year school and just start over. Those ancient F's won't help, but they aren't the death knell for your application to med school. Try to get them changed to W's, yes, but if you can't then just move on.

Personally, I'd see whether you can maybe get your current employer to pay for you to take a class or two in summer school, and/or just quit over the summer and start school this fall...you'll need to get cracking to apply to colleges right now that are still taking applications. Some state universities are probably still taking applications.

jesus christ stop questioning whether he is motivated enough. you guys sound like pricks.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but explain your situation to the community college and see if you can get your records purged over there.

Alternatively, you could at least get all those F's changed to W's. Present them with medical records etc, get a doctor friend of yours to say that the trauma caused by the accident caused this, etc. Four W's look much better than those F's, especially if you can explain it.

Im sure it won't disqualify you, as long as you make it to the interview, where you can explain it away. Good luck

OP, I am only going to say this once.

It's easy to take financial secruity for granted. Don't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I even moved from the US well before applying to med schools in Europe, in fact.

Nice try, sweetie.

Here's to hoping you stay over there in Europe.

Here's to hoping you stay over there in Europe.
Is that supposed to be some sort of xenophobic statement?

So you don't agree with someone about something infinitesimally small on the internet, so you turn it up a notch by hoping the person stays in another country, instead of staying on the topic, such as how you said something, and didn't expect to get challenged with something that discredited your theory? Why not turn it up a notch and keep making some baseless assertions?

I could always turn the notch up and look down on you as a pre-med that has some small man's syndrome in a world of physicians and med students...

Spoke with the Community College today, and I got them to put all my "Fs" to "Ws", and I have an appointment with the dean to try to get them completely removed all together. From what the counselor stated, I think I will be in business. Yes!

My employer will pay for 100% of my Bachelors, including books and supplies. House and cars are paid off.

I am ready.

Spoke with the Community College today, and I got them to put all my "Fs" to "Ws", and I have an appointment with the dean to try to get them completely removed all together. From what the counselor stated, I think I will be in business. Yes!

My employer will pay for 100% of my Bachelors, including books and supplies. House and cars are paid off.

I am ready.

Are you single? If so, post nudies.

Your current income is highly attractive...

G'luck.:luck:

I am ready.

:thumbup:

You're in excellent shape, good sir. I wish you luck. :luck:

Awesome. I wish I'd gotten a clean slate like that. Don't blow it. You've gotten something so precious that I would have given a kidney or a couple fingers to get 2 years ago.

UPDATE:

My promotion at work came much earlier due to an involuntary termination of someone two levels above me. I have been in the job for 3 months now, and hate it. Not just a little, a lot.

Spent 40 hours at two hospitals shadowing, and loved it. I got puked on once, which was not fun :laugh:. I think I am going to go back to school.

If I can manage to get my "Fs" turned into "Ws" at the CC, will this help substantially?

Thanks,

I know this post probably won't be well received, but I'm just going to throw it out there to be stomped on:

OP, have you ever thought about going into areas of medicine that don't require another 8 years of schooling? If you're dream is absolutely to become a doctor, then disregard this post--but if your dream is to work somewhere in medicine, and you might be satisfied at another level within the field, then you can certainly do it in less time and with less stress. Examples: Physician Assistant, Registered Nurse, Physical Therapist, Respiratory Therapist, Nurse Practitioner... There are many more. Please don't think I am trying to discourage you, because that is certainly not my intent--just broadening your vision perhaps.

I know this post probably won't be well received, but I'm just going to throw it out there to be stomped on:

Hmmm, yeah, why don't you let the guy restart his Bachelors before you commence raining on his parade?

-

Last edited:
Pretty much the responses I was expecting, but let me add the semi-qualifying statement that I myself am a non trad. Additionally, I am not trying to "rain on the OPs parade," but rather suggest that the situation does not have to be black and white: crappy job, or 8 years of school plus residency plus debt, as the rest of this thread has suggested. There is a middle ground, and I was simply trying to state the obvious and draw attention to it. Of course I understand that the purpose of undergrad is to help decide on the right future for any student--case in point: ME. As I mentioned in the post, I am not trying to discourage him in any way. I apologize if it came across that way.

Last edited: