Failed Calc 2 and about to fail organic chemistry 1, PRE-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me0wing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start with the back story. I didn't start college thinking of going to medical school but I still took some of the courses required. Mostly because I love science and math. I have passed general chem 1&2, biology 1&2, pre-Calc & calculus 1, and fundamentals of neuroscience and cell biology with A's. I studied every single day. Woke up with my books surrounding me on my bed and fell asleep with my books surrounding me on my bed. Woke up to studying and fell asleep to studying. I loved it. Now, all these courses were taken at one school. I decided to transfer to another school that offered a better degree to get into medical school. However right after my freshman year my house caught on fire and we lost everything. I didn't have my bed to study on anymore. I didn't have the home I grew up in for the past 13 years of my life. Starting sophomore year I was still in the school I wanted to transfer out of (I was taking Calc 1, bio 2, and chem 2 at this point). I was already slipping away from my studies given I couldn't study at home, but I had one friend who did manage to help me. She kept boosting my self esteem. Collected extra handouts for me whenever I came 5 mins late to class. She kept me on top of my studies after the fire. We stayed in school till 1 am 4 days a week studying because I had no place to study at home (the house we moved into was small, I shared a room with my younger brothers and could no longer study till 3 am). She was the reason I kept holding on. The second semester of sophomore year was in the school I transferred to. I thought I could do well so I took 18 credits (writing class, Calc 2, fundamentals of neuroscience and cell biology, astronomy, death and afterlife). I passed all these courses with an A except Calc 2 (F) and writing (B). I dormed during this semester and still found myself slipping away. It's like without support from my family or friends I was set up to fail. I haven't actually had a break since the incident happened back in August 2015. I've been pushing myself to get through school. My advisor insisted on taking summer courses to finish school early and so I decided to take organic chemistry I and II during the summer (now). I am about to take my second exam for orgo I and know without a doubt I will fail it. I have already failed the first exam. I am pretty sure I will not be passing orgo I. I want to know whether it is still possible to recover from this and get into medical school. I've dreamt of going to a good medical school but now I feel like I've shut the doors on myself. Of course I will be retaking the courses, I just need advice. I'm too afraid to take a year off. I feel as though it will only make things worse.

Also my exam is in 1 hr and 45 minutes. I looked at the exam from 2015 and I know I will not be passing this exam. I know I've already failed this summer course.

Would explaining my situation help the interviewer understand why I may have failed those courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not bite off more than you can chew! Why did you feel the need to take 18 credits? Why did you try to take organic 1 AND 2 over the summer? I can understand trying to finish school as soon as possible but do not do so to the detriment of actual learning and personal development.

I was once just like you but I'm set to graduate soon and I realized college is a lot more enjoyable when you slow down and take college for what it is: a time to explore yourself and truly learn. I too had many personal upsets along the way but try to take each day as a new opportunity to learn and grow and try not to dwell in the past. Additionally, if you're not up to doing well in classes now PLEASE sit out a semester or two and work on yourself so you can achieve your highest possible functioning. Does your school have a counseling office where you can discuss things confidentially (if so, I suggest making an appointment so you can talk some things out)?

In reference to how med school will view your potential failure, I think that if you have a strong upward trend you should possibly be ok but this involves possibly sitting out of school and working on yourself a little bit.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Then OP would be OK.
So assuming from this point on I retake the classes and get As and assuming I get As on my other courses, how is med school looking down my path?

Do not bite off more than you can chew! Why did you feel the need to take 18 credits? Why did you try to take organic 1 AND 2 over the summer? I can understand trying to finish school as soon as possible but do not do so to the detriment of actual learning and personal development.

I was once just like you but I'm set to graduate soon and I realized college is a lot more enjoyable when you slow down and take college for what it is: a time to explore yourself and truly learn. I too had many personal upsets along the way but try to take each day as a new opportunity to learn and grow and try not to dwell in the past. Additionally, if you're not up to doing well in classes now PLEASE sit out a semester or two and work on yourself so you can achieve your highest possible functioning. Does your school have a counseling office where you can discuss things confidentially (if so, I suggest making an appointment so you can talk some things out)?

In reference to how med school will view your potential failure, I think that if you have a strong upward trend you should possibly be ok but this involves possibly sitting out of school and working on yourself a little bit.

Good luck!
Thanks so much. The advice helps. This morning I actually called the consueling office in my school and set up an appointment. I have been aware since the incident (fire) that I've lost myself and should take time off to find myself again. However, I shrugged it off saying I'm fine. Everything can go back to normal but it can't. I can't. The issue is, I can feel it in my bones that if I take a semester off I'll get anxiety and panic at the fact that I'm not being "productive". Failing this second course has actually managed to open my eyes. I think I've been trying to get back in gear since the fire but all I've been doing is dragging myself across the floor rather than walking. What other alternatives are there to trying to find myself besides taking time off? I do understand time off is usually the best solution.

My advisor insisted on taking summer courses to finish school early and so I decided to take organic chemistry I and II during the summer (now).

Even with your circumstances? Jesus, advisors these days...