Failed calculus during sr year!!! Should i apply with F on transcript???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kg062007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is my situation. i took Calc this summer and failed. I was set to graduate Aug 1st, but now have to be here until december. Should I just go ahead and apply, with the F while i retake the class? Im sure i can do better at least A or B, and by the time interviews start, the schools should have recieved my new transcripts with the new calc grade. Other than the F the rest of my application is solid.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, here is my situation. i took Calc this summer and failed. I was set to graduate Aug 1st, but now have to be here until december. Should I just go ahead and apply, with the F while i retake the class? Im sure i can do better at least A or B, and by the time interviews start, the schools should have recieved my new transcripts with the new calc grade. Other than the F the rest of my application is solid.

You got a F but think you can get an A or B? :confused:

Hah, you should see my transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
since this is in pre-allo, you would need an A to have the F average out into a C, assuming you want this class to count towards a pre-req (i know a few schools have calc as a pre-req). also if you need this class for your major (which i'm guessing you do since you had to push back graduation), will they allow the B to override the less than C average a B+F would give you? in my school you needed a C to pass so it would count towards your major, and i imagine that's how it is at all schools.
however if you want to go DO, you can retake it and get the C or B (since an A is a bit unlikely but possible!) and that will be the only grade that counts since it'd be the most recent. but this only works if you don't need the class for your major. bc if you do you will need that A.

What happened and how do you see yourself doing a 180 by pulling off an A/B?

It's not unreasonable to expect to do better in a class the second time around...I had to drop Calc 2 to avoid failing it and got a solid A the second time.

It's not unreasonable to expect to do better in a class the second time around...I had to drop Calc 2 to avoid failing it and got a solid A the second time.

It's very possible and I've had to do it once myself with pre calc :thumbdown:. However I've also seen a friend fail calc II 3 times which she admitted later as being due to a consistently poor study ethic and a lack of the fundamentals from calc I.

Coming from an engineering university, it makes my head spin trying to think of how someone could fail calculus or pre calc.

Then I think about how awful I am with reading really dry novels or writing non-technical or non-lab write ups... lol

Sorry, useless post :(

Coming from an engineering university, it makes my head spin trying to think of how someone could fail calculus or pre calc.

Then I think about how awful I am with reading really dry novels or writing non-technical or non-lab write ups... lol

Bad professors...after I discovered ratemyprofessor, calc I,II, and III were a breeze. I'm hoping differentials and applied stats follows the same pattern.

Bad professors...after I discovered ratemyprofessor, calc I,II, and III were a breeze. I'm hoping differentials and applied stats follows the same pattern.

+ 1.

the difference of a professor is huge. they can make u or break u, it has almost nothing to do with the class it self or wut ur learning lol.

Totally agreed. Guess ppl's brain are wired differently.

well for starters, the teacher was horrible, the subject was hard (for me anyways) I have hated math since the fourth grade and long division :(, the summer semester is only two months so the teacher sped through the material, on top of all that I took 11 hrs this summer, and according to rate my prof. the lady who teaches it in the fall is really easy...... i'll see

well for starters, the teacher was horrible, the subject was hard (for me anyways) I have hated math since the fourth grade and long division :(, the summer semester is only two months so the teacher sped through the material, on top of all that I took 11 hrs this summer, and according to rate my prof. the lady who teaches it in the fall is really easy...... i'll see

If you haven't already, the next few weeks would be a good time to go through your notes and book to see what tripped you up and correct any thought process errors that you have. Also you can PM me if you get really stuck on something - I'd be glad to help.

If you haven't already, the next few weeks would be a good time to go through your notes and book to see what tripped you up and correct any thought process errors that you have. Also you can PM me if you get really stuck on something - I'd be glad to help.

thanks for the help i truly appreciate it

the difference of a professor is huge. they can make u or break u, it has almost nothing to do with the class it self or wut ur learning lol.

I found this to be especially true with math classes, where there is huge variability both in terms of test difficulty (much more important imo) and in instructor competence.

I found this to be especially true with math classes, where there is huge variability both in terms of test difficulty (much more important imo) and in instructor competence.

totally, i use ratemyprofessors for every class now lol. if that professor is lower than a 3 then its prob a no go. or if that professor doesn't know how to use the internet.....

When I took multi variable calc...75% of our test questions were multiple choice :mad: