Failed calculus: picking up the pieces

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfrisby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was sitting pretty on a nice 3.6 at the end of my sophomore summer with a solid plan to have my gpa up to 3.8 by the end of my junior year.

However, I really overloaded myself this past semester with a heavy 16 credit course load (Calc, organic II w/ lab, upper level biology course and Physics II) along with research, 2 leadership roles, ER volunteering, and a relationship.

Everything turned out great, except for my grades...
A in Organic lecture and Lab (Great!)
B in Biology and Physics (could be worse)
and an F in Calculus :(
Now I look at a 3.464.

Other than my gpa
my EC's are great (lot of music stuff)
good leadership experience (VP of premed club ftw)
300+ ER volunteer hours logged
150+ doctor shadowing hours (Pathologist/ER doc/Surgeon)
Worked a Phlebotomist for 4 months
Work as a Tutor now (Chemistry/biology)
1 year of organic chem laboratory research (Research distinction project underway)
good LORs set up with my profs and a few reputable doctors
and a music/chemistry minor

If I churn out a high 30 range mcat and a good PS, what are my chances for getting into a reputable med school? Vanderbilt is my goal.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll first have to re-take that F if you want anyone from a top school to consider your application. If you don't have any publications, it'll be harder to get into a school like vanderbilt. By no means are your chances "done" with the "F" you got, but you've definitely put yourself at a disadvantage. You're at the "apply and see" end of the spectrum.

And all US Medical Schools are "reputable."

I meant to say top schools, but reputable was the first work that came to mind. :oops:
Yes, retaking calc is at the top of my list. That and another retake will bring me up the 3.7 range.

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant to say top schools, but reputable was the first work that came to mind. :oops:
Yes, retaking calc is at the top of my list. That and another retake will bring me up the 3.7 range.
You do understand that your retakes are averaged on your med application, right? That means that if you get an "A" you will have a "C" for all intent and purposes. I don't think a punch up to a 3.7 with 2 retakes sounds reasonable? I could be wrong.

Ack, yes I forgot AMCAS combines the retake with the original grade.
My cumulative gpa, after retakes (one 5 credit course with C, and calc 3 credit with F), would be 3.7.
Sorry for the confusion, I'm up late stressing about grades.

Ack, yes I forgot AMCAS combines the retake with the original grade.
My cumulative gpa, after retakes (one 5 credit course with C, and calc 3 credit with F), would be 3.7.
Sorry for the confusion, I'm up late stressing about grades.
Would be 3.7 again?

I forgot AMCAS combines the retake with the original grade.
The way they would average in, if you got As on retaking both classes would be as 10 hours of B and 6 hours of C. That's how you calculated it right?