failed ck by 1 pt, have interviews???what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc39

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just found out today, same exact situation. failled by one pt. i already submitted my app and have interviews scheduled...
any suggestions please.
obviously i will try to retake it asap, go through usmle world and such.
i did not mark "automatic" release of scores on in eras, so i guess it's up to me to update that, how do i go about that, i just go ahead and do it?
waht about the programs for which you have to pass the exam on first attempt, will they drop the interview???
and what sort of an answer can i generate for the PD and else during interviews in regards to my failling score.???

Greatly will appreciate any input....pretty pls :(

user_offline.gif

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good thing you didn't release your scores.
If you did OK on Step 1, then maybe you will get lucky and they won't ask about Step 2 at your interviews. If you barely passed Step 1, they may ask you during your interview whether you've passed Step 2 yet...they might worry that you won't be able to pass Step 3 later, which would be a problem for them as you wouldn't be able to get your license if you couldn't pass Step 3, and at many programs couldn't be advanced/promoted to 3rd year.
If they do ask, it's probably better not to lie...I'd just tell the truth and tell them, "I failed step 2 by one point, I'm really disappointed in myself, I already am retaking it (and/or have retaken it), I'm confident I'll pass, and I'll keep you updated".

I certainly would not "update my application myself" or notify anyone that I had failed Step 2. Let them ask and/or find out for themselves. As far as starting residency, I think you're fine as long as you pass by a certain date (? next March or April).

Since you didn't choose to release your updated USMLE transcript, I'm thinking they only have your Step 1 score. That's all they really need to interview and/or rank you, though I know that many programs would like to see your Step 2 score at some point.

If they ask, you must tell the truth. Lying during your interview = fraud = they can fire you at any time. If they don't ask, you have no requirement to tell them.

If you are an IMG, then you must pass Step 2 prior to the ROL deadline, and most programs will demand to see your scores. If you're an AMG, then they might never ask / notice.

Thank You for your replies with your input. I definetely would never dare to withold the truth if asked about the score and am planning to retake the dorn thing in about a month.
What do you think about programs that state that applicants must pass on first attempts, should i cancel those interviews bc no point bc id never be considered once they realize i took it more than once, contact them, go and see....do these programs ever make exceptions in this regards, or are the rules written in stone?