Menacer

5+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2014
15
10
Status
Medical Student
So I got the unfortunate news today that I failed Step 2 CK with a score of 207, and plan on re-taking it some time in December so that I will have the score back before the Match. I have already passed Step 1 and CS on my first attempts, and have applied broadly for a FM residency (I sent my applications out on the day they opened up). I'm a Canadian citizen who attended a Caribbean medical school so am in need of a J1 visa.

My question now though is when should I re-transmit my USMLE transcript: either right now or after I have done my re-take and got a passing score (hopefully) back from it. If I don't re-transmit the scores now, I assume the programs I've applied to will see my CK score as 'Pending' and will probably hold off on sending an interview my way until they see I have passed CK - which I'm not comfortable taking again right away as I want to guarantee I pass it the second time around.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
 

evilbooyaa

Staff member
Moderator
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
5,496
4,357
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They're better off wondering whether you failed it or not rather than you telling them that you failed.

This is a tough situation, but a pretty slam dunk decision to transmit after your retake score comes back.
 
OP
M

Menacer

5+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2014
15
10
Status
Medical Student
They're better off wondering whether you failed it or not rather than you telling them that you failed.

This is a tough situation, but a pretty slam dunk decision to transmit after your retake score comes back.
That's what my initial thought was, but I'm worried programs will think I'm being dishonest by not disclosing the failed result as soon as it became available. There's also the potential awkwardness of my CK results coming up as a topic during an interview in the next couple months (although I'm assuming the chances of that are equally minimal with a 'pending' CK result and a failed CK result). Yeah its a tough situation, and a very crappy one to be in as well. That's life, though.
 

evilbooyaa

Staff member
Moderator
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
5,496
4,357
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Again, it's better for them to ask you at the interview rather than you telling them off the bat and having them throw your app into the trash. I would try to take it ASAP... it's October now. I'd take it by November as long as you aren't failing your practice exams. Take a vacation block to study balls to the wall if you have to.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ThoracicGuy