Failed cpje and intern license expiring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just found out I failed the cpje with a 74.
My intern license is expiring this May, is it possible to renew or extend the license?

Has anyone done this before?

Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone
Just found out I failed the cpje with a 74.
My intern license is expiring this May, is it possible to renew or extend the license?

Has anyone done this before?

Thank you all

I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't been home yet to check my mail. Short answer is that you can renew your license but if your experience is like mint they may deny the renewal. Check my post history for a detailed explanation. I'll write a longer answer when I can get home to a computer.

Edit: Finally got home from work. I ended up failing the CPJE again too. So as for that long answer, the CA BOP gives you the option to renew your intern license but it's to their discretion whether or not they will actually renew it. I was in your position a few months back and they had denied renewing my CA intern license because (paraphrasing them); "I had already earned my intern hours to sit for the exam and therefore cannot renew my license" so basically the way I see it is that they will only renew your license if (1) You've failed the CPJE or NAPLEX 4 times or (2) you didn't complete your internship hours yet. As a final result, I've received less hours at work because I've lost intern status and I can only work as a clerk (in the process to renew my tech license though). I seriously hate them with a passion. However they did cash the check I sent them to renew the license, but still denied renewing my license.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't been home yet to check my mail. Short answer is that you can renew your license but if your experience is like mint they may deny the renewal. Check my post history for a detailed explanation. I'll write a longer answer when I can get home to a computer.

Edit: Finally got home from work. I ended up failing the CPJE again too. So as for that long answer, the CA BOP gives you the option to renew your intern license but it's to their discretion whether or not they will actually renew it. I was in your position a few months back and they had denied renewing my CA intern license because (paraphrasing them); "I had already earned my intern hours to sit for the exam and therefore cannot renew my license" so basically the way I see it is that they will only renew your license if (1) You've failed the CPJE or NAPLEX 4 times or (2) you didn't complete your internship hours yet. As a final result, I've received less hours at work because I've lost intern status and I can only work as a clerk (in the process to renew my tech license though). I seriously hate them with a passion. However they did cash the check I sent them to renew the license, but still denied renewing my license.

I also tried to get an extension to get more experience for retaking CPJE, but got denied. Same law they used to shoot me down, in a nutshell said: if you are eligible to sit for CPJE, then you can't get an extension. It irks me b/c i didn't want to waste time and effort with fingerprints/stamped affidavits/ signatures for hours/money... so i had called prior to doing the application and spoke to a rep who did look at my file then clarified with the "manager," and they said to do the application, (at the time i was already CPJE eligible), i think they just wanted my money. >_<

I'm not sure that the 4x fail, requalifies you for an intern license though. i wouldn't want to go that route either way since, you gotta go back to school ...it's already gonna be a lot of headache and stress trying to reapply to those specific Pharm schools.

I also tried to get an extension to get more experience for retaking CPJE, but got denied. Same law they used to shoot me down, in a nutshell said: if you are eligible to sit for CPJE, then you can't get an extension. It irks me b/c i didn't want to waste time and effort with fingerprints/stamped affidavits/ signatures for hours/money... so i had called prior to doing the application and spoke to a rep who did look at my file then clarified with the "manager," and they said to do the application, (at the time i was already CPJE eligible), i think they just wanted my money. >_<

I'm not sure that the 4x fail, requalifies you for an intern license though. i wouldn't want to go that route either way since, you gotta go back to school ...it's already gonna be a lot of headache and stress trying to reapply to those specific Pharm schools.

Yeah, tell me about it. I actually called before doing the extension too and they actually told me that the extension wasn't guaranteed. At this point, I'm very close to the 4x fail and hope it doesn't happen. I would assume that the 4x fail requalifies you for the license since you would need the license to do externships for whatever school you apply to to requalify to sit for the exams.

Reapplying to school is insane. You are better off getting licensed as a pharmacist in another state, which you should have done already while failing CPJE multiple times

I know a few pharmacists who bombed CPJE and never ended up practicing in CA. They are pharmacists in Arizona.