Failed first semester, trying to determine my next step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FmagicL

Reaction score
Came just a few percentage points of passing 2 courses and the school asked me to repeat the first year. To be allowed into next year's class, I need to pass their Spring semester Masters program with a 3.0. I have spoken to faculty, and they have all said that no medical student that has gone this route has failed out, and I should have a good chance of passing the spring easily. My issue is that since I need to audit the masters course since I am not receiving a formal grade/degree I do not qualify for financial aid. I am now on the hook for paying rent without any financial aid, and I do not come from a family of wealth let alone middle class. The thought of just dropping out has crossed my mind not because I cannot handle the spring courses but because I would need to drain any savings I have (with some parental help as well) to be able to afford rent, etc.

Since I was told the news about financial aid, I have not been able to think about my next move. Do I bleed myself dry for these next 5-7 months while still needing to secure a private educational loan for the next semester only or do I need to come to the realization that maybe this is not for me? There are a few reasons as to why I did not succeed this first semester, but feeling like the material was too difficult was not one of them. I have not really spoken to anyone about this, so sorry for the rambling. I have wanted to become a physician all my life, but I don't want to burden my family in order to do so. Not even sure if I posed a question here, I guess just trying to see if it is time to look elsewhere in order to not totally ruin my financial future.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
This is your only shot at becoming a physician. If you drop out, you will likely never be able to attend a US medical school in your lifetime. The path you’re taking now isn’t ideal, but you can’t change the past. If becoming a physician is truly your dream, then you’ll have to roll with the punches and hop over this unpleasant hurdle.

You need to fix whatever caused you to fail during the first go-around. You know that you can’t afford to repeat your past performance. That’s the most important factor at play. If you can create a reasonable plan to succeed going forward and rectify past missteps, you will make it through and the financial sacrifices will be worth it—assuming you still want to become a physician.

Best of luck.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
This is your only shot at becoming a physician. If you drop out, you will likely never be able to attend a US medical school in your lifetime. The path you’re taking now isn’t ideal, but you can’t change the past. If becoming a physician is truly your dream, then you’ll have to roll with the punches and hop over this unpleasant hurdle.

You need to fix whatever caused you to fail during the first go-around. You know that you can’t afford to repeat your past performance. That’s the most important factor at play. If you can create a reasonable plan to succeed going forward and rectify past missteps, you will make it through and the financial sacrifices will be worth it—assuming you still want to become a physician.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply, honestly appreciate it. Like you said, it is all about getting over this hurdle and looking at what I did wrong and how I can improve. Never been diagnosed with any mental health issues, but this situation certainly has me feeling like I need to reach out to someone so I will be meeting with the Behavioral Health staff at school. Looking back it all, I do feel like anxiety did play a part in not letting me concentrate as I was always worrying about other tasks instead of focusing on what was in front of me.

Also, finishing up a masters course 3-4 weeks into medical school probably set me back. Felt like I never got a true feeling how my studying habits would translate and kinda panicked and tried a little of every studying technique. People like yourself and @Goro always have good, honest feedback on here so once again, I truly appreciate it. Just trying to think positive and find that light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes I am my worst critic, and I need to remind myself that I didn't get to this point where 5 schools accepted by accident. Taking it all in stride and really analyzing how I can be better.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user