Failed First Year How do I learn properly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Class1MOD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am in dental school, but I failed my first year science courses, especially biochemistry, histology, and anatomy. I feel like I don't really understand how to learn properly, and I will be going back to school in the fall and I want to understand how to do this properly. Please give me advice on how to learn properly! Thanks

TL;DR Failed first year need help to figure out learning style.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I am in dental school, but I failed my first year science courses, especially biochemistry, histology, and anatomy. I feel like I don't really understand how to learn properly, and I will be going back to school in the fall and I want to understand how to do this properly. Please give me advice on how to learn properly! Thanks

Did you speak with your advisor or seek help before things became this bad? Don't be too proud to ask for help

Reactions: 1 user
Did you speak with your advisor or seek help before things became this bad? Don't be too proud to ask for help
Yes I did. Unfortunately I didn't find her methods to be very helpful. I also had tutors from 2nd years as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I did. Unfortunately I didn't find her methods to be very helpful. I also had tutors from 2nd years as well.

Study groups?
Biochem pathways - use YouTube
Anatomy - plenty of free website like Teachmeanatomy
Histo - again free websites like Bluehistology

Anki decks for your dental courses

Hey

So I would love to say, hey study from here and you will do great, but it goes a little deeper than that.

So you have to do some research and figure out;
1. What type of learner you are (visual, auditory, kinesthetic, combination?).

2. which study method serves you most. It can be taking notes from a book, making flashcards, reading the book and then quizzing yourself, drawing concept maps, explaining what you just learned to a friend/colleague/family member, recording key points, etc. All these methods are active! Your learning process is an active process, simply reading a book is usually not enough (even the people who just seem to read the book and succeed are usually people that have learned to ask themselves questions and have other strategies of making the reading ACTIVE).

3. learn how to space out your studying and also at which point of the day you learn best. I personally study best at mid-day and do best with spaced repetition (something to research).

4. How to set up a good study space and where to learn. Some people need dead silence while others need noise and movement. Also, do you best study alone or with a study partner? maybe even with a group?

5. See if you understand and like your study material. I have been forced to read many times a certain book for a class because the lecturer ordained it, only to later figure out more concise and clear study sources were available.

6. Use technology! we have computers and those computers can show youtube channels, accessory video lecture websites, already made concept maps, etc.

7. Check your level of focus. This pertains directly to number 4, could it be that your cell phone, computer, colleagues or whatever else is distracting you? Are you dead bored when studying or active and motivated? All this makes a major difference. Learning how to focus (meditation--for me the absolute best way) and properly motivate. A properly motivated and focused person makes his studying an active process (point 2) instead of a passive endeavor.

8. Learn to love the process.

Everything I mentioned is to be played around with until you find the right formula. It takes time and can be frustrating. I would look at the bright side, while you are trying all these out you are actively learning material which will be helpful in your future career.

My favorite study method consists of using a basic study guide which that came from a lecture (if good) or a video lecture, I have my favorite video lecture websites. After having studied that and focalized on what is most important and understood the big picture I go to a book of the material and fill whatever information I deemed important (obviously information that was not mentioned in the lecture). I then proceed to condense the information in the study guide into a shorter study guide, forcing myself to think about how to make the information more conceptual and concise and I make flash cards. Finally, I review the condensed version of the study guide + flash cards using spaced repetition.

I hope it helped.
Cheers

Hey guys,

Read this:
Goro’s guide to success in medical school-v.2016

You can get tested for a learning disability. At some universities, there are school counselors that help professional students along with other college students with study techniques.