Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Failed! Help!

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by hbrohi, Mar 6, 2007.

1. hbrohi

hbrohi New Member

Medical Student
    I failed my step 1 twice because of family issues. I did get a 205 on the third attempt. I really want to go into medicine but I'm not sure how many programs I need to apply to! And are there any ones out there that would like someone like me? Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks so much!

2. KBoogie311

KBoogie311 Gettin' Down Wit..
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Need more information to help. Where are you going to school and how are you doing there? This influences the situation a great deal!!!

-KBoogie

3. idiotpathic

idiotpathic New Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i would try to ace s2 and apply far and wide on sept 1 with a fab s2 score

4. OP
    OP
    hbrohi

hbrohi New Member

Medical Student
    I go to Drexel in Philadelphia. I am doing really well in my rotations and am getting awesome evaluations. My shelf exam scores are ok (80-85%). I did well on my 1st 2 years. Does that help?

5. KBoogie311

KBoogie311 Gettin' Down Wit..
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think you'll be ok. I would think mid-level type of program as a best case scenario. I agree with the previous comment of kickin ass on step 2...it will certainly help your cause. If you kill it.....the PDs will be more forgiving of the Step 1 scores/failures.

-KBoogie

6. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    From a PD, I agree with the above. Strong shelf scores and a solid Step 2 score, with good grades on your clinical rotations, will help quite a bit.

One other piece of advice: Be as open as possible about your "personal" issue. When applicants explain their "red flag" as a "personal" issue, it always makes me worried that the personal issue is not resolved / could recur. If it's completely resolved, be clear about that.

7. OP
    OP
    hbrohi

hbrohi New Member

Medical Student
    Thanks so much everyone for your help!

8. mig26x

mig26x Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As an IM candidate that went through the same troubles as you I received 10 interviews this season and went to all of them and ranked all of them. Im expecting a Yes you have matched tomorrow.

Just apply to every place available, I applied to 60 something programs. So it can be done. But dont expect high tier programs to send you an invitation. 4 of my programs were academic programs and the rest community/univ affiliated program (all from the northeast) dont expect alot of love from the south!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...