Failed IM Shelf. What are my chances for IM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineapplesonpizza

Reaction score
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Kind of in a frustrating position. I intend on pursuing IM, but during the shelf exam, anxiety really took the wheel. I completely accept the consequences and have taken steps to deal with this. The good news is that I can retake the exam; bad news is the highest grade I can get is a C despite A's on my clinical skills. I am looking for a little realistic perspective on my chances in IM at certain IM programs. Please be brutally honest! Here are the relevant CV details.

-MD student in the middle of the road southeast school
-either the 3rd/4th quintile of class
-Step 1 :230-235
-Shelves: A/B on all shelves, with fail in IM (will retake and obtain a C)
-Step 2: ?? (let's assume around 245-250)
-CV: hella posters & abstracts w/ some case reports

Schools of interest: Temple U, U of Houston, Miami, George Washington, GT, UI Chicago, Rush

I understand that all these are in cities (as that is where I am interested in going); if there are any other suggestions for academic IM programs in cities please let me know. I will also consider community programs in which I can obtain a fellowship!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Big cities or big names? If you’re consider Temple, I think you should be fine. Unless Temple is a hidden power house I was not aware of.
You have good step 1, if you have a decent step 2, maybe people will just attributing it to a fluke.

Reactions: 1 user
Big cities or big names? If you’re consider Temple, I think you should be fine. Unless Temple is a hidden power house I was not aware of.
You have good step 1, if you have a decent step 2, maybe people will just attributing it to a fluke.

If you are asking what I value, I would have to say probably say lifestyle in a big city. My understanding was that the other schools I mentioned weren't considered big names, but I have no idea.

My bad if I misinterpreted your question :)

IM has tons of spots. Hang in there, pass your re-take, do well on your IM sub-i and step2 and you'll be gucci

Reactions: 1 users