Failed medical informatics. How bad will this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'd Rather Be Camping

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The title says it all. I've done the math, and it looks like even if I score 100% until the end of the semester, I'm going to fail this class. To provide some background, this is a 1 credit P/F class and the grade is based off of six 5 point online quizzes. I forgot about one quiz (it was scheduled right before our cardio/pulm midterm so I was busy studying for that) which gave me a zero, then I did really poorly on one quiz and got a 1/5. there are 10 points left in this class and I currently only have 10 points, which puts me at a 66% if I score 100% on the last two quizzes. 70% is required to pass.

Are program directors going to care about this class? I'm currently in the top 20% of my class, but now I'm going to have a failed class on my record. How bad is this going to look when I go to apply for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

go talk to the program director. Best defense is an offense.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

The title says it all. I've done the math, and it looks like even if I score 100% until the end of the semester, I'm going to fail this class. To provide some background, this is a 1 credit P/F class and the grade is based off of six 5 point online quizzes. I forgot about one quiz (it was scheduled right before our cardio/pulm midterm so I was busy studying for that) which gave me a zero, then I did really poorly on one quiz and got a 1/5. there are 10 points left in this class and I currently only have 10 points, which puts me at a 66% if I score 100% on the last two quizzes. 70% is required to pass.

Are program directors going to care about this class? I'm currently in the top 20% of my class, but now I'm going to have a failed class on my record. How bad is this going to look when I go to apply for residency?
go talk to the program director. Best defense is an offense.
Course director, but yes this is the right move, I would beg and plead for them to let you take that missed quiz, and tell them you where so stressed about the midterm you just forgot to do it. Offer to take it on the spot in front of them.

Any failure is a flag.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It’ll be a flag but not that big of one. More of a maturity issue than them thinking you won’t be able to pass board Exams. You’ll prob be asked about it in interviews but I doubt it’ll stop you from getting interviews. I missed a quiz isn’t a good enough of an explanation. A good answer would be “I missed a quiz due to poor planning. To make sure I never missed another important event I adapted a system of putting deadlines into my calendar with notifications on my phone.” It shows you understood that it was serious and that you have ‘grown’ from the experience and it shouldn’t happen again.

Reactions: 1 users
You're not the only person this has happened to. I've heard of several people in our class who just totally forgot about a quiz because the scheduling was so bad. Our next quiz is the day before our renal final....

Course director, but yes this is the right move, I would beg and plead for them to let you take that missed quiz, and tell them you where so stressed about the midterm you just forgot to do it. Offer to take it on the spot in front of them.

Any failure is a flag.

Pretty sure I know someone who this happened to earlier in the semester and it did not work. If you missed a quiz, you missed a quiz.

So I talked to the course director. She's not going to budge and I didn't push it for fear of some kind of professionalism mark against me. It's just a real punch to the face to be busting my a** so hard to get good grades and having it all feel like it was for nothing because I forgot about a quiz in a 1 credit class. A little ironic that studying so hard for good grades made me forget about a quiz which is going to hurt me a lot more than a lower cardio/pulm grade would have. I guess there's nothing I can do about it now...

Any insight from any residents or program directors out there? I've searched the forums for failing classes and matching residencies, but they are all about someone failing a core class, not a 1 credit medical informatics class. Also, I appreciate everyone's input so far. This sucks, but it's nice to at least be able to vent a little.

The school just does a **** job is what I have realized about the CPAs, OS exam and now the new PCM exam. The fact that you need a 70% on a PCM exam to pass is just stupid when you can pass Anatomy with a 60%.

You’re not alone in missing one of those quizzes OP. Unfortunately, their timing is just really terrible and I wish they’d do something to change it. All I can do is speculate, but I would think that as long as you do well in your core classes and boards you shouldn’t have much issue come time to match. Purely speculation on my part though.

So I talked to the course director. She's not going to budge and I didn't push it for fear of some kind of professionalism mark against me. It's just a real punch to the face to be busting my a** so hard to get good grades and having it all feel like it was for nothing because I forgot about a quiz in a 1 credit class. A little ironic that studying so hard for good grades made me forget about a quiz which is going to hurt me a lot more than a lower cardio/pulm grade would have. I guess there's nothing I can do about it now...

Any insight from any residents or program directors out there? I've searched the forums for failing classes and matching residencies, but they are all about someone failing a core class, not a 1 credit medical informatics class. Also, I appreciate everyone's input so far. This sucks, but it's nice to at least be able to vent a little.

She sounds like a tool. I’d you do well in everything else I doubt programs will care I mean most legit pds know that all these non science classes are a bucking fullship waste of time crap with the worst teachers at the school teaching them

Let her have her little world, probably needs it

She sounds like a tool.

Let her have her little world, probably needs it
Since neither of you knows the person you're badmouthing, perhaps you should watch your remarks. I go to the same school and am in the same class as OP. They missed one assignment and tanked another. Unfortunate, but it happens. The professor didn't go out of her way to accommodate OP when they asked for leniency at the eleventh hour. It sucks, but that's her prerogative. I can't imagine it'll be more than a blip on OP's record. Remediate and move on. If it comes up on the residency interview trail, go with @DO2015CA's advice.

I sympathize for you, OP. I would have missed two of these quizzes had it not been for someone else reminding me. It almost feels like they schedule them in a way to make you forget. You're going to schedule a bioinformatics quiz 1 day before a big final? Really?

The school just does a **** job is what I have realized about the CPAs, OS exam and now the new PCM exam. The fact that you need a 70% on a PCM exam to pass is just stupid when you can pass Anatomy with a 60%.

I personally am less annoyed about the 70% passing requirement (our class averages are 82 and 85%, so it's not unreasonable to expect the entire class to be around that IMO). I'm more annoyed about the number of questions I'm sure we all miss due to poor wording, spelling errors, incorrect answers they refuse to acknowledge, etc. I do agree it's a little humorous that you can get a 60% on anatomy but not PCM, though.