Failed Naplex...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sure2Pass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I failed a few weeks back. Lead me to pretty bad depression, and I guess all the expected feeling you'd incur from failing the biggest exam of your life. Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone else is currently going through this. I got my score back, got a 69 total, what really really killed me was the calculations, on that part of the exam I got a 9. (very low score is 8.7), rest of the parts I got 11's (12 is average).

I'm not so much worried about the other portions as much as I am the calculations so I'm going about studying for it this time differenlty. Math has always been my weakness since I was a kid, and I had a horrible professor in pharm school for calculations as well.. so this time, the only thing standing in front of my future is these calculations, th rest I could do, not so worry about those... anyone else going through this?

Last time I literally had about 30 math questions, I would spend up to 9 minutes on one math problem and I really just screwed up, In the first 100 questions I had about 15 math questions, some were easy (CrCl or IBW etc), some the more intense alligations and dilutions), but I realized all the very manageable ones were in the last 50 questions (maybe another 12-15 q's). The horrible thing about this though was I spent so much time with the ones I didn't know how to do, the ones I could do I had no time. I had 75 questions and 45 minutes to do them all, there was no way I could actually "work out" the math ones in the back :(. Anyways, just seeing if anyone else is going through this, maybe we could offer each other tips and support. I'm due again in mid February

FYI I have the 120 calculations and doing RXPrep... doing and feeling much better about the calculations this time so far, been studying hard core the past week, still 8 more weeks to go

Only good thing is I passed my MPJE, I'll admit that exam was MUCH harder, NAPLEX isn't bad, but gotta know those calculations, they'll end your career before it ever begins if you don't know them :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I failed a few weeks back. Lead me to pretty bad depression, and I guess all the expected feeling you'd incur from failing the biggest exam of your life. Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone else is currently going through this. I got my score back, got a 69 total, what really really killed me was the calculations, on that part of the exam I got a 9. (very low score is 8.7), rest of the parts I got 11's (12 is average).

I'm not so much worried about the other portions as much as I am the calculations so I'm going about studying for it this time differenlty. Math has always been my weakness since I was a kid, and I had a horrible professor in pharm school for calculations as well.. so this time, the only thing standing in front of my future is these calculations, th rest I could do, not so worry about those... anyone else going through this?

Last time I literally had about 30 math questions, I would spend up to 9 minutes on one math problem and I really just screwed up, In the first 100 questions I had about 15 math questions, some were easy (CrCl or IBW etc), some the more intense alligations and dilutions), but I realized all the very manageable ones were in the last 50 questions (maybe another 12-15 q's). The horrible thing about this though was I spent so much time with the ones I didn't know how to do, the ones I could do I had no time. I had 75 questions and 45 minutes to do them all, there was no way I could actually "work out" the math ones in the back :(. Anyways, just seeing if anyone else is going through this, maybe we could offer each other tips and support. I'm due again in mid February

FYI I have the 120 calculations and doing RXPrep... doing and feeling much better about the calculations this time so far, been studying hard core the past week, still 8 more weeks to go

Only good thing is I passed my MPJE, I'll admit that exam was MUCH harder, NAPLEX isn't bad, but gotta know those calculations, they'll end your career before it ever begins if you don't know them :(
Keep your head up. I think you just took too long on calculations you didn't know. If there was a calculation I knew I couldn't get I just picked an answer and moved on. Don't dwindle because then the ones you know which might take longer you'll rush or feel rushed and make a mistake. Don't freak out to much and just keep reviewing. I wish you the best :)

Reactions: 1 user
Keep your head up. I think you just took too long on calculations you didn't know. If there was a calculation I knew I couldn't get I just picked an answer and moved on. Don't dwindle because then the ones you know which might take longer you'll rush or feel rushed and make a mistake. Don't freak out to much and just keep reviewing. I wish you the best :)

Thank you.. I have about 6 weeks until the exam, just trying to get the calculations down really good!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking naplex in the first week of february--- Rxprep and 120 calculation

Hi Sure2pass,

Did NABP send you the detailed score report? do you get it online? Please let know i am in the same boat

Hey, so sorry to hear about that experience of yours. no words will make it better...only your next passing score will !! just wanted to tell you that I have the same exact situation...everythign is the same...weakness point is math...couldn't do it very fast in the exam...got tight with time towards the end of the exam...and simply scored 71 coz of it....I need to work with somone who is just as in need of this math issue as I have...at least we know what to do to make it stronger..and we can do this !!
if you care to share what u need and I'll tell u what i need and am sure we can be beneficial for each other add me on skype : dr_tema

best of luck sir/maam

Hey guys,

sorry to hear about your experience :(( wish u All the best for the calculation n rest as well. I'm also bad at calculation and taking my exam soon in frb still need to decide my dates. I love to work with you and if possible can u help me out about rest of topic what to focus n what not too ? Will be very thankful to you.. One more question how do u get score report one of my friend failed naplex but don't know how to get score report in order to know her weakness n strength plzz let me know ??? Also love to help you in any way let me know thanks a lot!!

Hi Sure2pass,

Did NABP send you the detailed score report? do you get it online? Please let know i am in the same boat

Not too detailed just the scores of the different sections... the state I took the exam in, their state board sent me an email of that information.

You should change your handle from Sure2Pass to Sure2Fail..hahaha

Thanks a******e, since I live in GA and you live in GA would you like to say that to my face? I doubt you'd have the balls.. Get a life fool.

sorry to hear about your experience :(( wish u All the best for the calculation n rest as well. I'm also bad at calculation and taking my exam soon in frb still need to decide my dates. I love to work with you and if possible can u help me out about rest of topic what to focus n what not too ? Will be very thankful to you.. One more question how do u get score report one of my friend failed naplex but don't know how to get score report in order to know her weakness n strength plzz let me know ??? Also love to help you in any way let me know thanks a lot!!

Sure, send me a message and I'll tell you whatever you need.

I will be taking naplex in the first week of february--- Rxprep and 120 calculation
Awesome, I'm taking it second or third week in February. Good luck to you.. do you feel well prepared?

I'm really afraid of you. What you gonna do? Kick my a...s for saying the truth? Werent you the one that whined about failing the Naplex? Chill the **** out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys,

How do you have a 'pharmacist' status and failed the NAPLEX? Do you know the penalty for misrepresenting yourself as a pharmacist in Georgia?

I took the pre-naplex this morning and got a 96... any thoughts? I'm eligible to take the NAPLEX starting Wednesday (Feb 13), but may take it in 2-4 weeks, not sure yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are following Rx Prep,question bank and have good command on calculations and drug names then go for it....Pre naplex is only to get idea of how the exam will look like .

hey i'm going through same depressed life as you are, i just took naplex last week and this was my 3rd time taking it. this time i thought i did good w/math but i still didn't pass. this time i scored 70 same as before except one time i got 67. I really don't know if i ever gonna pass this exam. I called NABP, they said a person can take maximum of 5 times. I got more upset after hearing that. also i heard after 3rd time in NY, i have to take remedial class for next time. now my question, how can i pass naplex in 4th attempt and what is the remedial class. could you please share with me if anyone has answer for those? also mmol and meq is biggest enemy in my life. last three exam i didn't know how to solve mmol.

Just took the Naplex today, I felt way more confident this time although the test seems like it's changed a lot from last time. They spread out the content of the test a lot more, I don't think any topic was not covered on the exam. But hopefully my studying 12 hours a day 5 days a week for the past few months paid off. I'll keep you up to date once I got my score.

P.S. I didn't feel like I failed walking out this time, so we'll see if that's good news.

Did u get the result? I hope you clear this time. All the best.

Just took the Naplex today, I felt way more confident this time although the test seems like it's changed a lot from last time. They spread out the content of the test a lot more, I don't think any topic was not covered on the exam. But hopefully my studying 12 hours a day 5 days a week for the past few months paid off. I'll keep you up to date once I got my score.

P.S. I didn't feel like I failed walking out this time, so we'll see if that's good news.

Hey guys! Thanks for all your support! I passed with a 90 this time. Felt much better walking out of this time. Just remember, theres no such thing as being overprepared when you're trying to be successful I studied harder than I ever have in my life, and now in return I can finally go live my life! Good luck to you all.

P.S. @ altrph Eat my dingleberry you schmuck!

Hi I am a Canadian I have pharmacy degree from the US but have been working in canada. I want to get licensed in the USA so I am taking the NAPLEX after being out of school and out of touch with the US for 5 years now. I read RXprep and started doing calcs from ProntoPass and the Lange Q&A book. I have not taken the Pre-Naplex yet but I see a lot of you are posting that the RxPrep questions are good. Any other suggestions before I go ahead and do the pre-Naplex? A lot more brands and combination drugs have come out since I graduated and Canadian practice seems to be trailing far behind :S

I recently passed my Naplex Pharmacy exam with flying colors in just one month .I tried rxprep,Kaplan and all other books but there were too long and very difficult to retain info so I asked my friends who passed with high score and collected very valuable and concise materials which made me pass with a score I never dreamed of.This all what I used without any books:
Calculations: questions with answers that makes you solve any problem in NAPLEX(27 pages )
NAPLEX the most important info to know (24 pages)
NAPLEX most important confusion info with answers(5 pages)
Super naplex review: summary of the most important therapeutic areas(2 pages)
Naplex practice question(67pages)
Antibiotics review:3 tables covering all what you need(3 pages)
Medical abbreviations(10 pages)
Lab values(1 page)
ManAN SHROFF calculations(31 pages)
Pharmaceutical calculations laws ,summary ,questions and answers(9 pages)
Calculation theory and explanation(390 pages)
Mannan very important tables summarizing what drugs to be refrigerated,drugs in unique dosage forms,drugs making discoloration of urine and feaces,drug interactions in simple way,…….etc (67 pages)
Calculations theory in power point manner(44 pages)
Mannan question and answers(81 pages)
Injectables and their solutions(14 pages)
Chemo:chart summarizing side effects of chemo drugs(1 page)
Naplex and FPGEE secrets for answering MCQ(184 pages)
Mosby pharmacy review for Naplex 2011 CD
MsGraw naplex 2011 CD
Lange 2011 CD
Comprehensive pharmacy review 2010 CD
ASHP Pharmprep CD
Study these and you will be perfect……….. GURANTEED

hi can you please clarify what source you used for the calculations??
please reply
thanks!

Hello,

I wanted to ask for advice from those who are more knowledgeable than me about how to become successful at passing Naplex.

I have taken Naplex four times and did not pass them. I have one more attempt before the 5-limit is reached. I study by making flash cards, writing the notes, and even reading out loud to help me memorize the content.

I have used the SDN 120 calculations (thank you to those who posted this on the site), RxPrep book, PassNaplexNow question bank, APHA book, and the Pharmacylibrary question bank.

I scored a 72 the first time, 68 next, then 74 and now a 65. Each time I felt I didn't know a particular topic and it was on my exam, so I studied that and in my next exam if I saw those questions I was able to answer them.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm very depressed about this because I graduated over a year ago now and this is haunting me.

Thank you.

My advice is believe in yourself and never loose heart.... If u tried and failed that is not your fault but if you do not try then all is ur fault... All who pass are not from mars they also live on earth... As I always say Naplex is not tough u need good material and right direction ...
Pm me if u need any help from me
Gud luck

Hello,

I wanted to ask for advice from those who are more knowledgeable than me about how to become successful at passing Naplex.

I have taken Naplex four times and did not pass them. I have one more attempt before the 5-limit is reached. I study by making flash cards, writing the notes, and even reading out loud to help me memorize the content.

I have used the SDN 120 calculations (thank you to those who posted this on the site), RxPrep book, PassNaplexNow question bank, APHA book, and the Pharmacylibrary question bank.

I scored a 72 the first time, 68 next, then 74 and now a 65. Each time I felt I didn't know a particular topic and it was on my exam, so I studied that and in my next exam if I saw those questions I was able to answer them.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm very depressed about this because I graduated over a year ago now and this is haunting me.

Thank you.
Did u fail to answer all the 185 questions?