Failed nursing program switched to pre-med. Need lots of advice/help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Uhm, you guys do not have to argue over what's harder or not, really. I think each program is hard on it's own, each individual just has their own niche in a field or forte, hence they think that certain subjects are "common sense" or easy. I think any bio and chem courses are easy but calculus and physics are challenging (just base from some of my pre-med friends who have taken these courses). I'll recalculate my grades again, maybe I'm wrong. But then again, I switched from a community college to the University and from what I can see in my transcripts I do not see any of the courses I took from the community college as a high school student. It only has one semester and the rest are nursing subjects. Thanks for the link, btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Uhm, you guys do not have to argue over what's harder or not, really. I think each program is hard on it's own, each individual just has their own niche in a field or forte, hence they think that certain subjects are "common sense" or easy. I think any bio and chem courses are easy but calculus and physics are challenging (just base from some of my pre-med friends who have taken these courses). I'll recalculate my grades again, maybe I'm wrong. But then again, I switched from a community college to the University and from what I can see in my transcripts I do not see any of the courses I took from the community college as a high school student. It only has one semester and the rest are nursing subjects. Thanks for the link, btw.

Exactly. Nursing and premed both have challenging portions, and one is not absolutely harder than the other, unless you are blinded by your own predujice.

Btw, if you guys are curious the way our program works is slightly different I think. We get our BSN in 16 months, it's a fast-track and the only nursing program offered at my university =/ We don't learn nursing concepts the first two years then go into clinical. We go into clinical rotation as we learn our concepts. So one night you could be studying for an exam and on another making your care plan for the patient you are assigned (you do this even as a first semester nursing student). Our typical schedule (depending on how far you've gone into the program) is going to class MW and going to clinical the rest of the week (again, depending on how far you're in). For example as a first sem student you go to class 3x a week and once a week for clinical, second sem you go to class 2x a week, then you have your community health (go to the health district which counts as a clinical day) then go to clinical 2x a week, third sem you go to class 2x a week and clinical 3x a week, etc etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
This argument is pointless so both of you need to stop with nursing vs pre-med. In the end if OP can't figure out why he/she failed nursing they will not be able to survive medical school and a lot of medical schools will be reluctant to give an acceptance unless some significant improvement is shown.

The difference is that I am not making broad generalized statements about nursing (it's impossible for a nursing class to be harder than a premed class?), I am only saying that it has conceptual information included in it that could very well be harder than premed classes. This is very believable because premed classes are generally introductory material, with generally pretty easy concepts and simple math. Your stance is much more extreme, and needs much more support for it than what you've provided. Once again, what don't you understand?

And once again, flawed analogies. Premed is very similar to the first two years of nursing and pre-nursing. Working at mcdonalds is not similar to brain surgery.

And please continue with personal attacks. I have alot more material to work with on that front, but I'm going to be the bigger man.
So similar that nurses are never required to take a chemistry class that's at the level of General Chemistry. Then you say it's subjective, but you go ahead and say upper division science is harder. You can't make up your mind. You're not a bigger man. Stop it with the passive aggressive. When the passive aggressive is this obvious, you have lost your bigger man ground.

So similar that nurses are never required to take a chemistry class that's at the level of General Chemistry. Then you say it's subjective, but you go ahead and say upper division science is harder. You can't make up your mind. You're not a bigger man. Stop it with the passive aggressive. When the passive aggressive is this obvious, you have lost your bigger man ground.

The upper division science isn't as similar to nursing as premed, and can reach very very difficult levels and require high level math. That's why I think it's ok to say many upper division sciences are more difficult than nursing is.

You know many BS nursing programs require chemistry right? And even if they don't, so what? Why would taking chemistry or not dictate if your other classes are hard? Am I missing something here?

Look at these pre-reqs to just get into nursing school:
http://www.utexas.edu/nursing/html/academics/bsn.html#pre
these are just to get in to the nursing school. Microbio is in there, a class that is on a higher level than what is needed to get into medical school.

and then there's the upper division nursing classes that need to be taken:
http://www.utexas.edu/nursing/html/academics/bsn.html#pro
Call me stupid, but alot of these sound alot harder than gen chem (o no I have to do algebra! derp)

I really think I am just missing something.... please explain to me again how you are supporting your argument that no nursing class can be more challenging then a premed class? Is it because they aren't required to take chemistry? And sometimes you need to be passive aggressive with someone blinded by their own opinionism and stubborness.

I really think I am just missing something.... please explain to me again how you are supporting your argument that no nursing class can be more challenging then a premed class? Is it because they aren't required to take chemistry? And sometimes you need to be passive aggressive with someone blinded by their own opinionism and stubborness.
Here's the curriculum of USFCA http://www.usfca.edu/nursing/bsn/

They don't require chemistry, but again, even if they do, they require a different level of chemistry. Bio 1 is hardly called a college class. Have you taken nutrition? I'm taking it right now passing with an A with just attending lecture. There's no way you can do these things to pass O.Chem, Gen Chem, Biochem, Calculus (some programs), or Physics. There's really absolutely no way. If it was so easy, you wouldn't get that many premeds not being able to make it to the end of the tunnel, whereas nursing doesn't have dramatic dropout rate. My ex-gf was a nurse. She was kicked out of her program the first few years for not being able to do the "pre-nursing" classes but then ran laps in upper division (after getting re-admitted taking them at another college).

Their pharmacology can't be as complex because they haven't taken high enough chemistry to understand it at those depths, so by default it can't be conceptually harder. It's more of a memorization game.But if you want to say that "Nursing Care of Children and Families" is harder than biochem, go ahead. I don't buy it. They may be labor intensive courses, but they are not the same as having to do biochem. Maybe you just can't understand because you're exceptionally smart at the sciences, so the only things you mind can say are hard are things that require you to move your body. I'm not even saying that sarcastically. But the truth is that the majority of premeds who are now doctors had to work hard in undergrad to get through these classes. In fact, I shadowed an ophthalmologist MD that said his undergrad at UCSB was tougher than his med school at UHawaii.

They don't require chemistry, but again, even if they do, they require a different level of chemistry. Bio 1 is hardly called a college class. Have you taken nutrition? I'm taking it right now passing with an A with just attending lecture. There's no way you can do these things to pass O.Chem, Gen Chem, Biochem, Calculus (some programs), or Physics. There's really absolutely no way. If it was so easy, you wouldn't get that many premeds not being able to make it to the end of the tunnel, whereas nursing doesn't have dramatic dropout rate. My ex-gf was a nurse. She was kicked out of her program the first few years for not being able to do the "pre-nursing" classes but then ran laps in upper division (after getting re-admitted taking them at another college).

Their pharmacology can't be as complex because they haven't taken high enough chemistry to understand it at those depths, so by default it can't be conceptually harder. It's more of a memorization game.But if you want to say that "Nursing Care of Children and Families" is harder than biochem, go ahead. I don't buy it. They may be labor intensive courses, but they are not the same as having to do biochem. Maybe you just can't understand because you're exceptionally smart at the sciences, so the only things you mind can say are hard are things that require you to move your body. I'm not even saying that sarcastically. But the truth is that the majority of premeds who are now doctors had to work hard in undergrad to get through these classes. In fact, I shadowed an ophthalmologist MD that said his undergrad at UCSB was tougher than his med school at UHawaii.

You keep ranting about Chemistry and indirectly might be suggesting it's a hard course, sorry it's not. However, it is a fundamental course.

Their pharmacology can't be as complex because they haven't taken high enough chemistry to understand it at those depths said:
I'm just another RN-DO/MD person chiming in here but my nursing pharm class was very complex right down to reaction mechanisms, peaks/troughs, and other junk that I have happily forgotten. And 75% of all premed stuff is memorization.

Not saying premed or nursing is harder than the other, they are completely different beasts.

They don't require chemistry, but again, even if they do, they require a different level of chemistry. Bio 1 is hardly called a college class. Have you taken nutrition? I'm taking it right now passing with an A with just attending lecture. There's no way you can do these things to pass O.Chem, Gen Chem, Biochem, Calculus (some programs), or Physics. There's really absolutely no way. If it was so easy, you wouldn't get that many premeds not being able to make it to the end of the tunnel.

It's funny to watch you try and rationalize your baseless opinion. Are you just going to ramble with anecdotes or are you going to provide some actual data to support your bullcrap? O wait you can't, because there is none.

Microbio is an upper division bio that isn't required for medical school. You just said bio 1 was easy, and that's a class required for medical school. There you go, a pre-nursing class that's harder than a pre-med class. Mind=blown.

Another example is nursing upper division medical genetics. Could this be harder than pre-med genetics? Why yes it definitely could. There are so many classes in the curriculum I provided that could be potentially very challenging. And no they aren't all just "labor intesive" (I don't know where you pulled this from, but it's ******ed), some of these classes have some difficult conceptual knowledge. And this is just at UT, a fairly run of the mill program. I'm willing to bet the nursing program at a place like University of Pennsylvania is harder as a whole than the premed curriculum at whatever college you go to.

Seriously, you two. Please quit. It's apples to oranges....

comparing-apples-oranges.jpg

"But I'd let her compare my apples and oranges all day..."

Seriously, you two. Please quit. It's apples to oranges....

comparing-apples-oranges.jpg

"But I'd let her compare my apples and oranges all day..."

That's kinda of like what I'm saying... you can't say that in general an apple's classes are always harder than an orange's classes.....

That's kinda of like what I'm saying... you can't say that in general an apple's classes are always harder than an orange's classes.....

Haha, well good, because after all your arguing, this is about what I am starting to hear when I see your posts...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5PoW7_kdA[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, well good, because after all your arguing, this is about what I am starting to hear when I see your posts...

[YOUTUBE]ZN5PoW7_kdA[/YOUTUBE]

You can hear whatever you want :cool:. I'm going to stick with my opinion that you can't make the assumption that premed classes are harder than nursing classes.

You can hear whatever you want :cool:. I'm going to stick with my opinion that you can't make the assumption that premed classes are harder than nursing classes.

I agree. What you could compare would be pre-med to pre-nursing or med school to nursing school. Those are both more along the lines of granny smith apples to red delicious apples and mandarin oranges to big juicy oranges the size of grapefruit (mmm....)

I agree. What you could compare would be pre-med to pre-nursing or med school to nursing school. Those are both more along the lines of granny smith apples to red delicious apples and mandarin oranges to big juicy oranges the size of grapefruit (mmm....)

Personally, I prefer oranges to apples.

Microbio is an upper division bio that isn't required for medical school. You just said bio 1 was easy, and that's a class required for medical school. There you go, a pre-nursing class that's harder than a pre-med class. Mind=blown.
Maybe at your school. At my school Microbiology is a lower division course, and I doubt nurses are required to take the upper division version of it.

At my school, Biology 1 is not the same as saying General Biology 1, but in the interest of fairness, sure, microbiology is harder than that, even physiology. However, the overall trend when you consider what is premed vs. nursing, premed takes the cake.

You keep ranting about Chemistry and indirectly might be suggesting it's a hard course, sorry it's not. However, it is a fundamental course.
Maybe at your school. At my school it's the general consensus that General Chemistry is harder than all other premed courses, which I have felt to be the case. 2 formal lab reports consisting of 10 pages a week + lecture tests + lab tests is much more than required from any other science class at my school.

Maybe at your school. At my school Microbiology is a lower division course, and I doubt nurses are required to take the upper division version of it.

At my school, Biology 1 is not the same as saying General Biology 1, but in the interest of fairness, sure, microbiology is harder than that, even physiology. However, the overall trend when you consider what is premed vs. nursing, premed takes the cake.

Another blind assertion.... Please, in the future, if you are going to be so stubborn and opinionated atleast learn to provide actual support for your points.

At UT, pre-nursing actually has more stringent requirements than pre-med set out by Texas medical schools. But I guess that doesn't matter because you say so... :rolleyes:

Maybe at your school. At my school it's the general consensus that General Chemistry is harder than all other premed courses, which I have felt to be the case. 2 formal lab reports consisting of 10 pages a week + lecture tests + lab tests is much more than required from any other science class at my school.

If General chemistry was so hard and supposedly it might be easy at my school according to you, I think I would have struggled on the PS section especially since mine was full of chemistry but that was not the case. General chemistry is a very conceptual course and yes I have written up lab reports that took me 4 hours, some even longer than 10 pages and still barely got a B in it. Either way what's easy or hard is something very subjective. I just find it hilarious that you think a course in a nursing program is not in-depth because chemistry is not a pre-req. Everyone has the right to have opinions but you argue your opinions as if they are facts without presenting any facts.

There's this one question in geriatrics that up till now I still can't grasp as to what the answer is. The question was something that you would put in your patient's room and some of the answers were a couch he/she bought when he/she was married, a family portrait, picture of a dog, etc etc

Fresh, cold water...

...it's always water...

futuramafry.jpg

OP has a chance to get into med school, but should consider DO...MD will be an uphill battle.

I definitely agree that DO will be FAR easier than MD, but unless OP applies with BOTH a good explanation for their failure AND alternative high-high level coursework completed with strong marks, both chances are really tiny.

OP, whatever you do, don't waste money applying until you know EXACTLY what went so horribly wrong in the nursing program, and are as certain as possible you have corrected it. Even if you were to somehow get in, you'd just be setting yourself up for failure again, and for the exact same reasons as last time. And as low as your chances appear right now of getting into an MD program after failing nursing, they are sky-high compared to what they will be trying to get back in if you fail out of an actual MD program - most schools auto-reject MD academic withdrawals, no matter what kind of explanation you have.

Others have pointed out that the math really doesn't seem to be adding up. And you weren't being entirely forthcoming before - you didn't mention the C's for several posts, for example. If this all comes back down to struggling with theory - well, unfortunately, that's a rather huge component of a medical education too. That kind of explanation almost makes it worse. I am not entering the shamefully childish argument about nursing vs. premed in terms of rigor (honestly, who gives a $hit - they're both demanding), but I think EVERYone would agree that you'll find MD theory at least approximately as difficult as nursing theory - perhaps even more so.

All this being said, there is a ray of light. If all these bad grades that sunk your 3.7 piled into one awful clown car year, then you can do a LOT of damage control if you have a solid explanation for it - a few MONTHS can hardly undermine an otherwise stellar academic CAREER, if that's an accurate description of your background. It will need to be backed up with strong coursework (I really don't see how you can avoid taking graduate level courses at this point), but med schools will listen to tales of redemption backed with evidence.

However - back to the bad news - things are, to an extent, permanently out of your hands, unless you do another nursing program and excel. Short of your research earning you a Nobel Prize in Medicine (surprisingly uncommon for med school applicants!), I don't see any other trajectory that will give you "safe" chances of enrollment at an American MD school eventually. You will always have a shot, but never a safe bet. DOs are a different story - their very mechanics of admission permit more forgiveness.

Sorry that we cannot give you better news. =(

I can imagine how some of the SDN people will be when they become doctors..."Doctor, is my daughter going to make it?". "WILL TO LIVE IS SIMPLY TOO WEAK. NO CHANCE. GO TO CARRIBEAN".

I can imagine how some of the SDN people will be when they become doctors..."Doctor, is my daughter going to make it?". "WILL TO LIVE IS SIMPLY TOO WEAK. NO CHANCE. GO TO CARRIBEAN".

hahahahahaha wow. i just busted out laughing when i read this. well done :thumbup: :laugh:

im just here for the fight. carry on
Popcorn.gif

They are BOTH very difficult. So was my 5.5 hour commute in the polar vortex , with no car, taking 4 buses and two trains to get to work, standing outside in the winter record-breaking low temps for up to 6 hours a day. So is digging ditches and working on roofs in 100+ degree summers with high humidity, and kneeling as a tile layer blue collar worker until your knees give out . Totally different kinds of difficult, but, having done both blue collar and white collar work, most say give me the latter anyday.

The people I know went to college full time while simultaneously working full time and slept about 3 hours a night, if that. No pressure there. Another cousin became a nurse after her father, a doctor himself, had her pay every penny for her education herself.

To get all the 'extra' assignments done (essays, plans, journals, extra book reading for class) I sometimes study and work 6 hours a night.

The nursing program crams a lot of info. into 2-4 years and you get one chance to pass the TEAS at my school . One. The nursing program at my school does require Chemistry. And anatomy, which I hear is difficult, but I enjoy it.

Much tougher? That is up for debate and depends largely on what practice you specialize in. Brain surgery, yes.. very likely tougher. So is rocket science, and my cousin was one of those. Boy, do I have the 1st cousins!

Surgery in general, yes. Beyond-imaginably difficult. But my grandma sewed people's open wounds with thread many decades ago and wanted to become a doctor. More guts than me!

Nurses make a lot less for doing an incredible amount of (often menial, very undesirable task) work with the long hours. They do not attend school anywhere near as long as M.D.'s. I had a doctor tell me 'your problem is you are too intelligent'. Is this a compliment?!

I don't think doctors have to bathe patients and toilet them. I know someone who still thinks nurses sit and do paperwork and answer phones all day long (that sounds like a secretary), and was amazed to discover LPN's often do toileting, bathe patients, do the heavy lifting, etc.

Nurses are doing much of the work now in clinical settings, and nurse practitioners. My last two appt's were worth NP's, not MD's. I told the nurse practitioner she should be a doctor.

Nursing Pre-Reqs that my school has me taking are the same mentioned here on the forums for pre-med coursework.

Thank you so much for posting! Seems to me that someone who is great in chem, biology, etc. can get through some of the difficult parts of med school, but what do I know? Very little. I only have my cousin-in-law (an M.D., internal medicine specializing in medical oncology and hematology) to consult.

Algebra, trig, and the Sciences are things analyzed and dissected further and further. Layers upon layers. It is great for people who love to analyze minutiae and are interested in how things work in the atmosphere around them. Math is abstract. You can sometimes, but not always, use common sense to figure it out. I do algebraic problems in my head and often find that a lot easier than writing the steps out.

I see you are pre-medical now? YAY!

I recall, before I switched my major, my non-medical-related-major advisor telling me I needed to get my GPA up when I was less than 1% away from the required GPA for the program. Lol. I am currently 3.5 GPA in pre-nursing coursework and will apply to med school down the road so at least I can say I applied, and gave it the best.

They are BOTH very difficult. So was my 5.5 hour commute in the polar vortex , with no car, taking 4 buses and two trains to get to work, standing outside in the winter record-breaking low temps for up to 6 hours a day. So is digging ditches and working on roofs in 100+ degree summers with high humidity, and kneeling as a tile layer blue collar worker until your knees give out . Totally different kinds of difficult, but, having done both blue collar and white collar work, most say give me the latter anyday.

The people I know went to college full time while simultaneously working full time and slept about 3 hours a night, if that. No pressure there. Another cousin became a nurse after her father, a doctor himself, had her pay every penny for her education herself.

To get all the 'extra' assignments done (essays, plans, journals, extra book reading for class) I sometimes study and work 6 hours a night.

The nursing program crams a lot of info. into 2-4 years and you get one chance to pass the TEAS at my school . One. The nursing program at my school does require Chemistry. And anatomy, which I hear is difficult, but I enjoy it.

Much tougher? That is up for debate and depends largely on what practice you specialize in. Brain surgery, yes.. very likely tougher. So is rocket science, and my cousin was one of those. Boy, do I have the 1st cousins!

Surgery in general, yes. Beyond-imaginably difficult. But my grandma sewed people's open wounds with thread many decades ago and wanted to become a doctor. More guts than me!

Nurses make a lot less for doing an incredible amount of (often menial, very undesirable task) work with the long hours. They do not attend school anywhere near as long as M.D.'s. I had a doctor tell me 'your problem is you are too intelligent'. Is this a compliment?!

I don't think doctors have to bathe patients and toilet them. I know someone who still thinks nurses sit and do paperwork and answer phones all day long (that sounds like a secretary), and was amazed to discover LPN's often do toileting, bathe patients, do the heavy lifting, etc.

Nurses are doing much of the work now in clinical settings, and nurse practitioners. My last two appt's were worth NP's, not MD's. I told the nurse practitioner she should be a doctor.

Nursing Pre-Reqs that my school has me taking are the same mentioned here on the forums for pre-med coursework.

Thank you so much for posting! Seems to me that someone who is great in chem, biology, etc. can get through some of the difficult parts of med school, but what do I know? Very little. I only have my cousin-in-law (an M.D., internal medicine specializing in medical oncology and hematology) to consult.

Algebra, trig, and the Sciences are things analyzed and dissected further and further. Layers upon layers. It is great for people who love to analyze minutiae and are interested in how things work in the atmosphere around them. Math is abstract. You can sometimes, but not always, use common sense to figure it out. I do algebraic problems in my head and often find that a lot easier than writing the steps out.

I recall, before I switched my major, my non-medical-related-major advisor telling me I needed to get my GPA up when I was less than 1% away from the required GPA for the program. Lol. I am currently 3.5 GPA in pre-nursing coursework and will apply to med school down the road so at least I can say I applied, and gave it the best.

OP hasn't returned to SDN since Oct 2012.

Reactions: 1 user

So, this is where we tell you the two most useful things in regard to posting on SDN.

1: Use a Google search with site:studentdoctor.net included in the search box to search for prior topics to ensure you aren't asking a question or making a post regarding something that's already been asnwered/covered.

2: The second biggest thing is, when you find a post you want to read, check the post dates of the OP and the last post before you reply to make sure you aren't inadvertently bringing a thread back from the dead. This is known as necromancy, and is illegal in many jurisdictions.

Welcome to SDN!

Reactions: 1 users