Failed Nursing school/ low cGPA High sGPA. what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fjbrown92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I may be in a position where I fail out of nursing school. What are my chances of getting into a medical school with a high science GPA, high mcat score, but low overall GPA??

My friends in medical school are looking at my coursework and have said that my material is more difficult in some aspects. And if you were wondering, I don't want to be a nurse anymore because of the SERIOUS lack of autonomy.

Members don't see this ad.

You have no chance of passing medical school if you failed out of nursing

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I may be in a position where I fail out of nursing school. What are my chances of getting into a medical school with a high science GPA, high mcat score, but low overall GPA??

My friends in medical school are looking at my coursework and have said that my material is more difficult in some aspects. And if you were wondering, I don't want to be a nurse anymore because of the SERIOUS lack of autonomy.

Nursing is different from medicine, and while nursing may have its own difficulties in some ways, they are different than those in medical school. High sGPA and MCAT are great, but your dilemma is in overall GPA - it's been done, but how low are we talking? If less than a 3.0, it likely won't happen, but above there could be a chance - HOWEVER - failing out of nursing school could mean two things (actually failing, or getting less than a C which most schools have as a requirement). Failing (as in Fs) won't help, but if you simply have to change your course of study, it could still be a viable possibility, dependent on a few things, as mentioned.

Friends in medical school, or pre-med friends? I have a friend/classmate who's a nurse, now in medical school, and he says nursing school didn't compare. Generally speaking - nursing (assuming RN/BSN) is an undergrad degree and medical school is a doctorate - just let that sink in - there is no way undergrad nursing is harder than medical school, otherwise it wouldn't be nursing school or medical school. With that said, I could understand if PRE-med friends are saying that.

Could you clarify why you're potentially failing out of nursing school since there are multiple ways for that to happen (technically speaking)? And autonomy, while a great motivator for switching fields, should be last thing on your mind right now, and you should focus on passing nursing school or fixing whatever isn't working for you because it only gets harder - and if you can't pass nursing school, you won't pass medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
I love nurses. I'm married to one and the progeny of another. But unless you're talking about classes like "Gait Belt Technique" and "Advanced Nursing Theory", no. There is nothing harder in nursing school than med school.

I don't say this to demean nurses. My wife was in a doctorate of nurse practice program, and her pharm class looked hard. But not med school hard.

Reactions: 2 users
My friends in medical school are looking at my coursework and have said that my material is more difficult in some aspects.

Uh huh, right... I watched my wife go through the most rigorous nursing program in our state and her coursework was definitely challenging but didn't even match up with a semester of my science classes. Nursing coursework is cake compared to medical school.

I don't want to be a nurse anymore because of the SERIOUS lack of autonomy.

Well yeah.... why did you choose nursing in the first place? Nurses are a vital part of a patient's care and a good nurse can be worth their weight in gold but it won't ever be a field where you have autonomy. You will need a physician order for just about everything.

What are my chances of getting into a medical school with a high science GPA, high mcat score, but low overall GPA??

Do you actually have a high MCAT? Have you taken the pre-reqs? Because if you haven't I think you are underestimating the difficulty of these things by a fair amount. If you can't finish a nursing program, I have doubts about your ability to excel in medical school pre-requisites.

Reactions: 2 users
If you failed out of nursing school, then I imagine you must have some bad grades in nursing classes. Remember that for DO, nursing classes go into your science gpa. Calculate accordingly if you haven't already.

Nursing school is nothing compared to the work load of even the worst medical school. Time to start looking at other options!

As long as your oGPA clears a 3.0 when you apply then you should have a chance. You need to clear the screen so somebody will give a real look at your application.

Have you taken the MCAT, pre-reqs? Most nursing school curriculum doesn't include some of the pre-reqs so I would compare CIB/MSAR to your transcripts

Maybe different in some aspects but your friends are just being nice OP. At this point if you are failing out then you need to be honest with yourself and know you are not cutting it at being a nurse or physician. Its time to self evaluate and make some changes. I am a firm believer in "If you want something, you will find a way" mentality but to just assume you will turn it around is insanity.

I think your best option at this point is to pick up a CNA job and determine if you really dislike nursing and get a better exposure to physicians. Then if you are still against the nurse lifestyle then start taking/retaking pre-reqs, then take MCAT, then apply broadly.

Nursing is more difficult than most of the pre-meds/med students would give nurses credit for. Its not the classes that make nursing school more difficult than average, its the difficulty of the students balancing the amount of things that need to be done per semester. Clinicals + classes + labs is what makes it more difficult, not the classes themselves. Most nurses would get absolutely fooked in any higher level science class but would probably kick most of our asses in other aspects of "care."

But it aint med school. Time to switch fields broski. Nursing is not analytical by any means whereas med school and what we are taught is literally how to be a better analyst (diagnostics). There's a reason a good doctor would make a horrible nurse, and a good nurse would make a terrible doctor (generalization but you get what I mean. Two very different skill sets).

I would put my entire student loan of med school down that a BSN is harder than 99% of our undergraduate degrees. But that's undergraduate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Nursing is more difficult than most of the pre-meds/med students would give nurses credit for. Its not the classes that make nursing school more difficult than average, its the difficulty of the students balancing the amount of things that need to be done per semester. Clinicals + classes + labs is what makes it more difficult, not the classes themselves.

Glad you mentioned that, I had trouble finding the right words. On top of that a lot of nursing students are working a job while most medical students are not.

OP you need to objectively evaluate why you are failing nursing school and work from there. Comparing the difficulty of course load is pointless and doesn't help you obtain your career goals.

I have a quick question to the OP, what happened in Nursing school? Could you just not handle the workload or did you just not really want to be there? There's a difference between saying "Look I could do it, but I just didn't want to so I failed out" compared to "I tried as hard as I could, everything I could do and I can't make it". If it's the former, then possibly yes you may make it in Med school(Not comparing difficulties, there is a whole load of replies above), if it was the ladder, that you just couldn't handle nursing school. Then I really do think you should change careers, Med school definitely won't be easier, and it most likely will be harder. So if you couldn't take it as a nurse, then most likely you won't make it as a doctor, which is unfortunate to say.

Zero, as of right now.