Failed Organic The First Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolwannabe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed organic 1 the first time. Later, I repeated it and got an A and also took organic 2 and got an A as well. I also got a few C's early on in college (freshman and sophomore years), but I've become a much better student since then. I currently have a 3.5 overall and science GPA right now with a semester left before my last year in undergrad. I've also taken my MCAT and scored a 36. Will medical schools automatically reject me because of these mistakes?

Members don't see this ad.

I failed organic 1 the first time. Later, I repeated it and got an A and also took organic 2 and got an A as well....I've also taken my MCAT and scored a 36. Will medical schools automatically reject me because of these mistakes?

Write your bruises into your personal statement (1-2 sentences), and explicitly note your upward trend. Getting an A after a C is good trend. Starting with a rough GPA, and getting it to a respectable 3.5 is also an upward trend. And finally, you silenced the question of if you're can survive with a 36 (high five). Anyways, as is you're competitive, just make sure to frame your narrative on your personal statement, primary and secondary without sob stories for past mistakes an consider the academic proof part done. Just make sure the rest of your application is just as competitive.

So, you're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Write your bruises into your personal statement (1-2 sentences), and explicitly note your upward trend. Getting an A after a C is good trend. Starting with a rough GPA, and getting it to a respectable 3.5 is also an upward trend. And finally, you silenced the question of if you're can survive with a 36 (high five). Anyways, as is you're competitive, just make sure to frame your narrative on your personal statement, primary and secondary without sob stories for past mistakes an consider the academic proof part done. Just make sure the rest of your application is just as competitive.

So, you're fine.

I would avoid mentioning it in the personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user

So, you're fine.

I don't agree with the bold. Any grade trend should be reserved for secondaries. Leave the PS for optimal "selling yourself"

I would avoid mentioning it in the personal statement.

Like most things, it depends how you write it. It's not like it slipped the adcoms mind that it happened, especially if you apply to a school that pre-screens. I believe in owning your narrative, rather than allowing someone else to translate it.

On an unrelated note, I'm on a committee for research/merit scholarships, I prefer when applicants just own up.

You show an upward trend which is nice. And your mcat is solid, so as long as you have good EC's, I think you'll be fine. I agree with the above-- do not mention bad grades in your 'why I wanna be a doctor' essay. Discuss it in your secondaries instead. Good luck.

Like most things, it depends how you write it. It's not like it slipped the adcoms mind that it happened, especially if you apply to a school that pre-screens. I believe in owning your narrative, rather than allowing someone else to translate it.

On an unrelated note, I'm on a committee for research/merit scholarships, I prefer when applicants just own up.

I mean, isn't it self-explanatory? OP got an F the first time but rebounded back to an A, and has the MCAT to back his academic progress. Not exactly sure what's more to be said.

I don't agree with the bold. Any grade trend should be reserved for secondaries. Leave the PS for optimal "selling yourself"

Hm, well I wouldn't pontificate on it, but I would make it a nuanced theme.

Anyways, I did worked for me, take my the parts of my advice that you wish and throw out the rest. Do you.

I mean, isn't it self-explanatory? OP got an F the first time but rebounded back to an A, and has the MCAT to back his academic progress. Not exactly sure what's more to be said.

Agreed unless there was a documented serious illness, in which case I think that the secondaries or interview would be a better place to address this.

Well, again, worked well for me, however I can totally understand why it can also be dangerous. It also worked for others in my small network that did successfully apply, if written well, but my anecdotes fail as evidence . For the OP, go with the majority as far as the PS they've got this premed thing down. =)

For the OP pick up a book called Medical School Admissions Guide it covers the PS, and things like this pretty well.

I failed organic 1 the first time. Later, I repeated it and got an A and also took organic 2 and got an A as well. I also got a few C's early on in college (freshman and sophomore years), but I've become a much better student since then. I currently have a 3.5 overall and science GPA right now with a semester left before my last year in undergrad. I've also taken my MCAT and scored a 36. Will medical schools automatically reject me because of these mistakes?
Ahhh you sound like the person I want to be. I also got a few C's freshman year and got a D in Organic (retaking). Good job, sounds like you're well on your way to getting into medical schools.