Failed Orgo Twice? Chances of getting in???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chivirus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my situation, I failed organic chem twice but got an A on it the third time I took it.

The first time I failed, it was completely my fault. I underestimated the class and didn't try hard enough. It was also the semester that me and a few of my friends started a new fraternity on campus, so a HUGE chunk of my time went to that.

The second time, the weekend before the midterm my uncle collapsed at work because of heart attack and was in critical condition for a few days. I had to drive back home, and couldn't make it back in time for the midterm. I couldn't retake the midterm because the school wanted a letter from the hospital about my uncles condition, and the hospital wouldnt release it cause of patient/doctor confidentiality. So I was never really able to bounce back from that and ended with a D+ in the class.

The third time I took it, I concentrated and studied hard and was able to get an A-.

My question is will dental schools even consider my apllication anymore since I technically failed orgo twice? My GPA right now is a 3.2 and I have around a year to bring it up. I'm pretty sure I have no shot at dental school right out of undergrad, so I'm planning on doing a one year's masters in bio that is specialized toward students trying to get into Med/Dental school. So basically what am I looking at right now? Do I still have a shot?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think you still have a shot (keep in mind I am applying this cycle). Unless you receive SICK scores on the DAT, I would take some higher level chem classes, not bio, to try and offset those F's. I don't know if a
Masters is necessary (someone else may want to clarify). Also, the two F's you received prior to the A will still be calculated into your cGPA and sGPA when applying.

So here is my situation, I failed organic chem twice but got an A on it the third time I took it.

The first time I failed, it was completely my fault. I underestimated the class and didn't try hard enough. It was also the semester that me and a few of my friends started a new fraternity on campus, so a HUGE chunk of my time went to that.

The second time, the weekend before the midterm my uncle collapsed at work because of heart attack and was in critical condition for a few days. I had to drive back home, and couldn't make it back in time for the midterm. I couldn't retake the midterm because the school wanted a letter from the hospital about my uncles condition, and the hospital wouldnt release it cause of patient/doctor confidentiality. So I was never really able to bounce back from that and ended with a D+ in the class.

The third time I took it, I concentrated and studied hard and was able to get an A-.

My question is will dental schools even consider my apllication anymore since I technically failed orgo twice? My GPA right now is a 3.2 and I have around a year to bring it up. I'm pretty sure I have no shot at dental school right out of undergrad, so I'm planning on doing a one year's masters in bio that is specialized toward students trying to get into Med/Dental school. So basically what am I looking at right now? Do I still have a shot?

Thanks in advance

we need more information from you. Like what undergrad year are you in? (freshman? sophomore? Junior? senior? have you graduated already?)

Also, what is your science GPA?

Depending on your situation, if you are still in college, taking upper level biology classes now (like biochem, physiology, anatomy, histology, microbiology, etc etc) and doing well in them should erase any doubt about your old orgo performance.

I doubt any school is going to look at your file, see the 2x fails and throw your application out. Instead theyr gonna pay attention to your overall performance (GPA + DAT) then evaluate your most recent course works. If they see something that demonstrates resilience and good work ethic, chances are, they'll read further.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you have a "shot" if you take it and get an A, but given how you failed twice already, Have you looked at Hygienist profession?;)

don't give it up, Americans love come back stories. best of :luck:

The more down to earth question is do you think you will need more than one try to pass biochem, physio and pharmacology?

Yeah you have a "shot" if you take it and get an A, but given how you failed twice already, Have you looked at Hygienist profession?;)

don't give it up, Americans love come back stories. best of :luck:

This post really irked me. Go away.

I actually failed O-Chem part II 3 times, then on the fourth try got a B+ (quarter system). Got four interviews and one acceptance, and one WL. So yeah its possible. Takes hard work and some luck. I think I'm one of the luckiest people that have ever posted on here in terms of gaining an acceptance. But I'm also one of the most stubborn and would not quit my dream no matter how dire the situation looked.

Lol, I'm pretty sure he was too...I was just being goofy.

lighten up:D I was kidding actually, We've all been at some point hit up to look at Optometry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Dental assistant!! :sleep:

I wanna go to my pre-health advisor when I graduate from the same school that they couldn't foresee me getting into and slap her with my graduation tassle!!:smuggrin:

Sure you have a shot... Like others say just make sure you do well in your other classes the 1st time.

Also with your 3.2 gpa remember that AADSAS will include both of your Fs while calculating your GPA. Some schools will only use the latest (passing) grade. If this is the case calculate your own gpa while including the 2 Fs...This will show you what dental schools are going to see.:thumbup:

A good GPA trend can make up for a few bad individual grades

Thanks for the advice guys.

And something awesome happened last week, so thought I would share. Didn't post this initially because it sounded like an excuse on my part, but the teacher I had Orgo with second time was absolutely horrible. His average grade distribution for all his classes was a 1.79. After two semesters he finally got canned. Best part is whoever took his class can have their grades for that class taken off their transcript if they so wish.

So now I'm looking just looking at one F, and have brought overall GPA to a 3.32, so that should help out a lot!

Thanks for the advice guys.

And something awesome happened last week, so thought I would share. Didn't post this initially because it sounded like an excuse on my part, but the teacher I had Orgo with second time was absolutely horrible. His average grade distribution for all his classes was a 1.79. After two semesters he finally got canned. Best part is whoever took his class can have their grades for that class taken off their transcript if they so wish.

So now I'm looking just looking at one F, and have brought overall GPA to a 3.32, so that should help out a lot!

wow... I never thought that was possible...
Congratulations

So what, the class was completely deleted from the transcript?

Is there some reason why your uncle couldn't have lent you a hand? Would have saved you the trouble of a 3rd retake :oops: