Failed out of two medical schools, may fail yet again.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Archer

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my story is a depressing one. I guess I will start by providing a little information about myself. I am currently 31 years old and went to college many years ago intending to become a doctor. I majored in one of the hard sciences and struggled throughout my entire undergraduate career and consequently ended up with a sub 2.0 gpa which caused me to abandon my medical school aspirations. I then went on to attend law school and graduated on time, but failed the bar on my first two attempts before passing. Coming from a very low tier law school with several attempts at the bar, I found myself struggling to find employment after graduation. After being unemployed for nearly 2 years, I got a totally dead-end job at a legal clinic working terrible hours and making slightly more than minimum wage (basically doing what legal secretaries and paralegals do). I then decided to make the decision to try to gain admittance to a Caribbean medical school. I was fortunate enough initially to gain acceptance to one of the most prestigious medical schools in the region, but to make a long story short, was academically dismissed 1.5 years later after failing to pass the first semester three times. I then was able to get into another mid-tier medical school on another Caribbean island, but was again kicked out 4 months later after failing two courses in the first semester. I transferred yet again to another Caribbean medical school where I am yet again trying to make it into this profession. Now 31 years old, I barely passed my first semester in December, but I am currently struggling with neuroscience and physiology and fear that I may end up getting expelled once again. Part of me is considering just giving up now to avoid the inevitable. Even I were to miraculously make it through the rest of the basic sciences and do well on the board exams, is there even a residency program that would take a chance on someone like me with a history of so much failure? Would it be possible to return to the United States and attempt to gain admittance to a US school at this point? Also, if I do call it quits now, I have nearly (get ready for this) $700000 in debt from my education to this point (college, law school, medical school). To make matters worse, my parents both passed away over the past couple of years (They had no savings, so I inherited nothing) and I actually borrowed money from relatives and close family members for the past two medical schools I have attended (they did not take federal loans). I am currently feeling really scared that I have dug myself in a hole I will never be able to get out of and I need some advice on what I should do. Since the death of my parents I have no real support system (besides an ex-girlfriend and 10 year old son who do not want anything to do with me) and do not know anyone who can give me advice on what I can do to successfully become a doctor at this point. Part of me just feels like walking out into the Caribbean Sea and letting the barracuda have me. Any help would be really appreciated right about now.

Members don't see this ad.

I smell a troll, but just in case I'm wrong...

You're not cut out for med school. You've already had three more chances than most premeds ever get.

Additionally, you've demonstrated remarkably poor judgment. Continuing to borrow money until you're nearly three quarters of a million dollars in the hole can be described no other way. Anything you haven't borrowed from family is non-bankruptable, so you need to contact lenders and work out repayment terms. They'll work with you, since you can't suck blood from a stone and they'd rather get small payments than no payments.

Get stateside, find whatever legal work you can, try to repair your interpersonal and family relationships, and work to pay down your debt. Sorry this hasn't worked out for you.

Even I were to miraculously make it through the rest of the basic sciences and do well on the board exams, is there even a residency program that would take a chance on someone like me with a history of so much failure?
Probably not.

Would it be possible to return to the United States and attempt to gain admittance to a US school at this point?
No. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Reactions: 11 users
So my story is a depressing one. I guess I will start by providing a little information about myself. I am currently 31 years old and went to college many years ago intending to become a doctor. I majored in one of the hard sciences and struggled throughout my entire undergraduate career and consequently ended up with a sub 2.0 gpa which caused me to abandon my medical school aspirations. I then went on to attend law school and graduated on time, but failed the bar on my first two attempts before passing. Coming from a very low tier law school with several attempts at the bar, I found myself struggling to find employment after graduation. After being unemployed for nearly 2 years, I got a totally dead-end job at a legal clinic working terrible hours and making slightly more than minimum wage (basically doing what legal secretaries and paralegals do). I then decided to make the decision to try to gain admittance to a Caribbean medical school. I was fortunate enough initially to gain acceptance to one of the most prestigious medical schools in the region, but to make a long story short, was academically dismissed 1.5 years later after failing to pass the first semester three times. I then was able to get into another mid-tier medical school on another Caribbean island, but was again kicked out 4 months later after failing two courses in the first semester. I transferred yet again to another Caribbean medical school where I am yet again trying to make it into this profession. Now 31 years old, I barely passed my first semester in December, but I am currently struggling with neuroscience and physiology and fear that I may end up getting expelled once again. Part of me is considering just giving up now to avoid the inevitable. Even I were to miraculously make it through the rest of the basic sciences and do well on the board exams, is there even a residency program that would take a chance on someone like me with a history of so much failure? Would it be possible to return to the United States and attempt to gain admittance to a US school at this point? Also, if I do call it quits now, I have nearly (get ready for this) $700000 in debt from my education to this point (college, law school, medical school). To make matters worse, my parents both passed away over the past couple of years (They had no savings, so I inherited nothing) and I actually borrowed money from relatives and close family members for the past two medical schools I have attended (they did not take federal loans). I am currently feeling really scared that I have dug myself in a hole I will never be able to get out of and I need some advice on what I should do. Since the death of my parents I have no real support system (besides an ex-girlfriend and 10 year old son who do not want anything to do with me) and do not know anyone who can give me advice on what I can do to successfully become a doctor at this point. Part of me just feels like walking out into the Caribbean Sea and letting the barracuda have me. Any help would be really appreciated right about now.

Diamond smuggling might be worth considering

props to anyone who gets the reference

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a troll, but if not, you should leave the US find a job somewhere else (maybe teach English) and get a different citizenship. This type of debt is nearly impossible to repay even if you get a medical degree.
:troll:

Reactions: 4 users
Probably a troll, but if not, you should leave the US find a job somewhere else (maybe teach English) and get a different citizenship. This type of debt is nearly impossible to repay even if you get a medical degree.
:troll:

I agree. Move somewhere else as a financial refugee and start over.

Reactions: 1 users
ImageUploadedBySDN1518724848.999479.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.