Failed Out of University 1st Year --> M.D. DREAMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfddg

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am posting in regards to my rather peculiar situation. In my 1st year of University as a Biochemistry major, I nearly failed all my courses and was required to withdraw from the sciences due to psychological issues mixed with immaturity.

That following summer I called the Dean of Admissions for the Kinesiology department I was attempting to transfer into and he stated: "Son, Kinesiology is a competitive program and maybe university isn't right for you." At that moment in time, a switch flipped in my mind and I've been driven beyond words can describe ever since to become a medical doctor. The dream which one year of mishap seemed to significantly derail.

The biggest issue is my sGPA is greatly affected because my first year of University was pretty much all medical school 100-level pre-requisite courses. However, I have retaken all those courses necessary for medical school and have attained a 4.0 in all of them.

I graduated from the University of Windsor with Bachelor of Human Kinetics (Honours Kinesiology) with Movement Science Major.

cGPA (minus 1st year):
cGPA (including 1st year): 3.32

MCAT: 512

Shadowing: 200 hours (Pediatric Anesthesiologist, Oncologist, Hematologist, Family Doctor, Dermatologist, Cardio-Thoracic Surgeon).

Volunteering: 200 hours hospital, 100 hours Big Brothers & Sisters, 500 hours coaching several summer basketball camps, 300 hours chiropractic clinic.

Research: Canadian Assessment of Physical Literacy for 1 year & currently getting involved with three research projects at my local University over the next 18 months. *I know my research experience is lacking - hence that's what I'm trying to tailor my focus currently on.

Leadership: Tutor pre-medical pre-requisites at my University for 1 year & currently starting my own non-profit MCAT Tutoring/Mentorship Program at my local University.

Lastly, I currently live in Ontario but am a Dual-Citizen with the U.S. and am applying for the 2020 start date to both U.S. M.D. and D.O. schools. I wanted to know:

1. Where I should apply?
2. How broadly should I apply?
3. Is my 1st year GPA anchor going to really limit or close any possible competitive MD school doors for me?
4. My plan from now until August/September 2020 is to save as much money and make my application as competitive as possible. What would you recommend as the most efficient use of my time with respect to strengthening my application?

THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL THE HONEST HELP & POSITIVE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM YOU MAY GIVE :)

Members don't see this ad.

Rising GPA trends are always good.

Suggest targeting these schools:
U Toledo
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you @Goro for that substantial list - that really means a lot to me.

Is there anything you'd recommend over the next 18 months I can do to expand my options and realistically apply to some "reach" schools as well? Which "reach" schools would you recommend?

I have no full-time commitments other than strengthening this application the next "x" amount of months. I rather you be honest with me as opposed to overly optimistic. Any more advice is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @Goro for that substantial list - that really means a lot to me.

Is there anything you'd recommend over the next 18 months I can do to expand my options and realistically apply to some "reach" schools as well? Which "reach" schools would you recommend?

I have no full-time commitments other than strengthening this application the next "x" amount of months. I rather you be honest with me as opposed to overly optimistic. Any more advice is appreciated :)
I find that most reach schools do not reward reinvention. They have their pick already of people who did not need reinvention.

I find that most reach schools do not reward reinvention. They have their pick already of people who did not need reinvention.
Agreed. In addition, this guy's MCAT is good...but not Harvard-level. If he had a 520 or better, he might apply to a couple of schools like Columbia. Leaving his early misadventures aside, 3.85/512 is competitive, but not top 20 material.

Thank you @Walter Raleigh and @gyngyn.

@Walter Raleigh is there anything you'd suggest to myself other than primary care shadowing and applying broadly? I just want to give myself as much future opportunity as possible. Sorry if this question may sound repetitive. Thanks again for your honest input!

Thank you @Walter Raleigh and @gyngyn.

@Walter Raleigh is there anything you'd suggest to myself other than primary care shadowing and applying broadly? I just want to give myself as much future opportunity as possible. Sorry if this question may sound repetitive. Thanks again for your honest input!

I don't know. Peace Corps, Teach for America, and especially military service are liked by admissions committees, but doing those things - especially military service - solely to improve one's application is not the best idea. You could do Americorps, or hospice volunteering. Being extremely honest, you might throw two or three top 20 schools on your list if you really want to, but it is very unlikely that you'll get an interview or acceptance. It's a Hail Mary you can go for if you'd like!

There's not too much that you can do to make you a strong applicant for those top-20 schools. The juice ain't worth the squeeze. A very high (520+) MCAT could make you a decent candidate for Columbia. Other than that? You'd need a hell of a story - like being a high-ranking Mountie, or a veteran, or have several publications, perhaps in high impact journals.

You have a decent shot at MD though and are a strong DO applicant.