• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Failed spine surgeon becomes failed pain doctor, accidentally burns down house while destroying evidence

Orin

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2009
Madness.

I'm not sure if I prefer the pokes for meds model or the PT for meds out of this joker. I'm guessing coerced/bad PT is probably less detrimental than injections. Some of that stuff happens in ivory towers for sure, like billing for time when you personally spent 2 minutes with the patient or upbilling due to documentation/activity by LCSWs.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 21, 1998
Over the rainbow
  1. Attending Physician
Article here

Not sure why it took 3 years to arrest them. Apparently the wife accidentally burned their house down when she left the documents burning in the outdoor fireplace unattended.

I went to med school with him and remember him. He was very bright. Great athlete and very sociable. Matched ortho and the did a spine surgery fellowship at UCSD. I wonder where the wheels came off the bus.

About the Ads
Nov 21, 1998
Over the rainbow
  1. Attending Physician
Madness.

I'm not sure if I prefer the pokes for meds model or the PT for meds out of this joker. I'm guessing coerced/bad PT is probably less detrimental than injections. Some of that stuff happens in ivory towers for sure, like billing for time when you personally spent 2 minutes with the patient or upbilling due to documentation/activity by LCSWs.

What decent doctor would cut off meds for a patient who didn't go to PT?

"Mark Kuper forced patients to attend frequent physical therapy and substance abuse programs — even if they were unnecessary — and then billed those sessions at a higher cost than they were worth, according to court documents. For example, patients attended physical therapy sessions as a group with a physical trainer who was not medically qualified, but Kuper billed the sessions as one-on-one appointments with Couley, a trained physical therapist, authorities said.

Similarly, patients’ psychotherapy sessions lasted about 15 to 20 minutes, but Kuper allegedly billed them as hour-long sessions. Much of the time, Kuper billed treatments as if he personally administered them, but this was often a lie, court documents say.

On some days, Kuper claimed he personally did more than 24 hours worth of work. In one instance, he claimed to have done 140 hours worth of medical treatment in one day, the indictment says.

If patients did not attend physical therapy sessions, Kuper told staff not to give them pain medication, according to a whistleblower lawsuit filed against Kuper in 2016 by a former substance abuse counselor at the clinic. In one case, Kuper ordered that a patient in a wheelchair with cerebral palsy have her pain meds cut because she missed physical therapy, the suit says."

Agast

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2009
the river lethe
  1. Attending Physician
I went to med school with him and remember him. He was very bright. Great athlete and very sociable. Matched ortho and the did a spine surgery fellowship at UCSD. I wonder where the wheels came off the bus.

I couldn’t link the Dallas news article, but he also referred to pain patients as “bottom feeders.”

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
Missouri
  1. Attending Physician
What I don’t understand about people like this is how they think they can get away with this stuff long term. There is so much bad karma around these kind of people it’s not if but when it will come back to bite them.

Reactions: 1 users

Ducttape

SDN Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
What decent doctor would cut off meds for a patient who didn't go to PT?

"Mark Kuper forced patients to attend frequent physical therapy and substance abuse programs — even if they were unnecessary — and then billed those sessions at a higher cost than they were worth, according to court documents. For example, patients attended physical therapy sessions as a group with a physical trainer who was not medically qualified, but Kuper billed the sessions as one-on-one appointments with Couley, a trained physical therapist, authorities said.

Similarly, patients’ psychotherapy sessions lasted about 15 to 20 minutes, but Kuper allegedly billed them as hour-long sessions. Much of the time, Kuper billed treatments as if he personally administered them, but this was often a lie, court documents say.

On some days, Kuper claimed he personally did more than 24 hours worth of work. In one instance, he claimed to have done 140 hours worth of medical treatment in one day, the indictment says.

If patients did not attend physical therapy sessions, Kuper told staff not to give them pain medication, according to a whistleblower lawsuit filed against Kuper in 2016 by a former substance abuse counselor at the clinic. In one case, Kuper ordered that a patient in a wheelchair with cerebral palsy have her pain meds cut because she missed physical therapy, the suit says."
was he a Million-Dollar-Baller too?

About the Ads

Doctodd

15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2005
Miami, FL
i wouldnt put too much credibility in that dollars for docs report. I have received zero dollars from any companies, much less 9 of them. I think the reps are padding/laundering their lunch money. Ive never even heard of Neox or Clarix.

2018 Payments At a Glance

payments

$137
payment total

companies paid this doctor

Payment Calendar in 2018
This doctor received a payment on 9 days in 2018.

Each box below represents a single day during the disclosure period. A gray box indicates no payments. The darker the color, the more payments a doctor received that day.

Types of Payments in 2018

Food and Beverage9$137

Payments with no listed product
N/A$44
INTELLIS
device$26
HYALGAN
device$24
HYMOVIS
device$24
SENZA SPINAL CORD STIMULATION SYSTEM
device$18
GELSYN 3
device$13
NEOX
drug$12
CLARIX
drug$12

Ducttape

SDN Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
i wouldnt put too much credibility in that dollars for docs report. I have received zero dollars from any companies, much less 9 of them. I think the reps are padding/laundering their lunch money. Ive never even heard of Neox or Clarix.

2018 Payments At a Glance

payments

$137
payment total

companies paid this doctor

Payment Calendar in 2018
This doctor received a payment on 9 days in 2018.

Each box below represents a single day during the disclosure period. A gray box indicates no payments. The darker the color, the more payments a doctor received that day.

Types of Payments in 2018

Food and Beverage9$137

Payments with no listed product
N/A$44
INTELLIS
device$26
HYALGAN
device$24
HYMOVIS
device$24
SENZA SPINAL CORD STIMULATION SYSTEM
device$18
GELSYN 3
device$13
NEOX
drug$12
CLARIX
drug$12
you need to appeal this, if this is incorrect. that is on your reputation and not theirs.

someone in your office may be allowing these goods to be dropped off and not recognizing that it is going on your, um, record.
("have a box of donuts, the other office didn't want them." "sure?" "yes, they will just be thrown away." "Okay great thanks! ill grab Doctodd for you.")

or, how I got snagged - "Its on me. the doctor doesn't have to know about it, I wont report it. here are some smoothies for the staff".

BobBarker

15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
  1. Attending Physician
I posted this in the wrong thread originally:

They have me at $1000. Vertiflex training and lunches. Several of the lunches tagged me for half or all of the food. $40-80. I promise I only ate one serving, not 8. I think the ones that were half they gave the other half to my NP, but of course pro publica doesn’t have where you can look her data up.

About the Ads

Doctodd

15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2005
Miami, FL
you need to appeal this, if this is incorrect. that is on your reputation and not theirs.

someone in your office may be allowing these goods to be dropped off and not recognizing that it is going on your, um, record.
("have a box of donuts, the other office didn't want them." "sure?" "yes, they will just be thrown away." "Okay great thanks! ill grab Doctodd for you.")

or, how I got snagged - "Its on me. the doctor doesn't have to know about it, I wont report it. here are some smoothies for the staff".

yea that is probably what happened. No biggie though. I encourage my staff to get whatever lunch or snacks they want from reps since they come few and far between.

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
Maybe I missing the point of this article. But, at what point does a home become a mansion? Also I gotta move to Texas. 7800 square-foot “mansion” for 1.6 million dollars?

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Canton GA
www.stevenlobel.com
  1. Attending Physician
how do you only get 3 bedrooms out of 6600 sq feet? how is that possible?

love the outdoor space -- not a big fan of the detached garage. land purchased in 1996 for 18,500. thats 15 acres, btw.....

Maybe really big rooms. Not my style in interior decorating.

About the Ads

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
  1. Attending Physician

SSdoc33

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2007
  1. Attending Physician

jsaul

15+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
$1,799,000
5beds · 5 baths
719 10th St, Wilmette

60x150 lot. Detached garage. ALMOST 2 million haha

View attachment 312758
this is more my style...clean lines, no curves, minimalist furniture not some gaudy interior decorations.
You could not pay me to live in those 2 houses in oklahoma that were posted above. I dont need an acre of land to mow. To each his own. I live in 6600 sq feet.......

6600 being the lot size and that is plenty of land for me in the city

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
this is more my style...clean lines, no curves, minimalist furniture not some gaudy interior decorations.
You could not pay me to live in those 2 houses in oklahoma that were posted above. I dont need an acre of land to mow. To each his own. I live in 6600 sq feet.......

6600 being the lot size and that is plenty of land for me in the city
I also live on 6725 lot... 50x135. for now hahah. That might be changing here soon

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Canton GA
www.stevenlobel.com
  1. Attending Physician

If anyone looking to relocate to N of ATL. My nurses house is for sale.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

SSdoc33

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2007
  1. Attending Physician

WTF? can i be your nurse?

Heist

MD Attending Physician
10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2010
  1. Attending Physician

How does your nurse have so much money?

Heist

MD Attending Physician
10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2010
  1. Attending Physician

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
Missouri
  1. Attending Physician
We get some privileges for living in flyover states lol. I’ll never forget when I first moved here and was looking at a house on the lake on 20acres. Very nice house with amazing view. I asked what the taxes were per year. 1200$

Reactions: 1 users

Ferrismonk

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
  1. Attending Physician

Lol, I have a friend who works in Cumming. I'll send it along.

Edit: I'm also selling my house in Michigan if anyone is interested in a homestead.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.