failed step 2 CS, graduate June 1, 2007 and start internship June 12 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayj

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I need some help. I just found out I failed Step 2 CS today 3/31/07, I took it 1/12/07 in Philadelphia. I graduate in two months on June 1 and I am starting an Army residency on June 12, I was HPSP scholarship. What do I do?? The scheduling website says the next available date is Aug 7!

Please help!

ayj

Members don't see this ad.

First, does your med school require it to graduate? If not then Does your residency require it to start? Some don't. You just have to have it to take step 3. Next I would talk to your residency ASAP and let them know what happened as it could delay your start. I would also sign up ASAP to retake the test and check the schedule multiple times daily as some people will drop the test the day before. Finaly, if something opens be ready to take the test again and jump in a car or plane and be willing to take it the next day. I know this sucks. Good luck

hey guys,

I need some help. I just found out I failed Step 2 CS today 3/31/07, I took it 1/12/07 in Philadelphia. I graduate in two months on June 1 and I am starting an Army residency on June 12, I was HPSP scholarship. What do I do?? The scheduling website says the next available date is Aug 7!

Dammit, that sucks, sorry dude. It's a stupid-a$$ test, so arbitrary.

I know that the Navy says they require it. That being said, I find it unlikely that the Army is going to boot you out of your residency based solely on that. After all, that would leave them short a resident, which in our field is not going to fly at all. It's not like they have Army students waiting in line for a spot; the match has been done for months and everyone's destiny is already set.

If I were you, I'd get on the phone with your GME coordinator and talk to them about it. Five bucks says they tell you, "Whatever, just take it and pass it after you start."

Alternatively, look at the other sites and see if they have anything open. Obviously I don't know for sure, but it's hard to believe that, this late in the year, all the sites are booked through August.

hey guys,

Please help!

ayj

Considering your time frame, I would suggest you take a review course to fix the deficit quickly. I know Kaplan has one. I'm not getting a commission for this, just a suggestion to have this stupid test bite the dust in the fastest way possible for you.

Good luck!

Nu

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking -- what did you remember doing wrong during the test?

good luck.

from what I remember, I may not have written every section of the notes. I vaguely remember glossing over social history and family history on some cases where I didn't think it was relevant. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I always recorded allergies though. According to the score report, I failed on data gathering and patient note.

It turns out my school does not require passing Step II CS to graduate, so I'm OK there. Thanks guys!

ayj

Hello all,
I am an IMG and did the OASIS TRICK on efmg.org and i was striked that it let me register and go ahead. my score is already reported on 28 march 2007.
Does that mean i simply failed???????
what's the chance for an IMG to pass despite being allowed to register on IWA?

It takes around 14 days to get the result by snail mail.

I would appreciate it if I can read replies from IMGs with similar situation.

What makes me concerned is that i did very well during the exam. I wrote nearly full PNs and behaved well with pts. My language was good as i spent 2 months doing elective course in the U.S before the exam. I have never forgot to Knock the door, naming pts, wash hands, taking permission, or exteding the couch for P/E. I answered all the challenging questions when asked. mistakes "which i consider them minor :confused: " include forgetting to do do complete pulmonary exam except auscultation for a case when indicated, not closing all (~1/2) the counters with conclusion. I had one case where i was nearly totally confused with, there i kept repeating same questions for the pt and he looked anxious form me, and i was mingled with the p/e, but i think that even complete failure in one case would'nt affect the pass/fail result along with doing fine in the others, isn't that?

I don't know what to do in such a case where there is nothing to do exept waiting the snail for the mail.

Please I will appreciate any help.
Thanks alot guys.

from what I remember, I may not have written every section of the notes. I vaguely remember glossing over social history and family history on some cases where I didn't think it was relevant. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I always recorded allergies though. According to the score report, I failed on data gathering and patient note.

It turns out my school does not require passing Step II CS to graduate, so I'm OK there. Thanks guys!

ayj
I also failed and on the second time around I used first aid for the CS. I really liked it and went through all the cases with a friend. I would recommend doing the same.

Also, just to let you know - yeah you can schedule the next date open, but I think that you have to pay a fee to reschedule if an earlier date becomes open. I'm not sure though.

Ok, you need to refresh the schedule page like every five minutes. Do this long enough and you will find dates start to open up sooner and sooner. I fail this POS first time around because of the note - BECAUSE OF THE F***ING NOTE! Idiots. Anyway, when I reapplied to take the test, the first test date that popped up was months away. I just sat and kept refreshing the scheduling page for about 6 hours - you cannot be picky about location anymore - did my 2nd in Houston. It paid off for me, and I hope it will for you too.

What did the score report say you did wrong?