failed step 2 cs - is interview season over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepaholic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my friend just failed step 2 cs. otherwise he's a capable, fairly average applicant - US grad, average scores, some research, applying to internal medicine. Do you think he'll manage to get any more interviews, or will programs reject him flatly because of this failure? just wondering what to expect for the next couple of months.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

my friend just failed step 2 cs. otherwise he's a capable, fairly average applicant - US grad, average scores, some research, applying to internal medicine. Do you think he'll manage to get any more interviews, or will programs reject him flatly because of this failure? just wondering what to expect for the next couple of months.
thanks.

When did he fail it? Can he by any chance retake it before match time? Either case he needs to speak with the deans office.. the dean is the best advise for this.... he might need to scramble for IM... that's not as evil as it sounds trust me, especially since he is a US grad.

thanks.

I know people from my school (last year) did not take it till April (I'm a DO, do not know about MD), but I know for a fact that they have matched in MD programs. He should be OK as long as he does not re-transmit his scores. am I correct?

unfortunately he transmitted his scores before they were released - so the programs will get his score automatically.

If he transmitted his scores to ERAS before the CS score was back, residency programs will not have it, unless he checked the "auto-update" option.

thanks.

There is a thread about this under the USMLE Step II forum. Basically, most schools use Step II CS in terms of you have to have a passing grade to graduate. Most residency program directors only care about Step II CS in terms of you getting your diploma. Your friend needs to review whatever he needs so that he can pass this nuisance of an exam and graduate. His failing grade should not make that much of a difference unless the rest of his application is very poor (which does not seem to be the case). He will likely continue to get interveiws and will likely match but he needs to get this out of the way as soon as possible so that he can tell any potential program directors that he has this taken care of.