1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Failed USMLE/Passed COMLEX...worried about options

Discussion in 'Step I' started by sk1985, Aug 16, 2011.

1. sk1985

Medical Student
    So here is my predicament: I took the COMLEX in June and walking out of the test, I knew I hadn't done my best and felt I could do better. I had a bunch of people tell me to take the USMLE so my options would not be limited, so while on my July rotation, I studied and took the USMLE in mid-July. I felt even worse walking out of that test.

At the beginning of August, I got my COMLEX and USMLE scores within days on one another: I passed the COMLEX, but barely (as in the low 400's) and I failed the USMLE. (I know what I did wrong, I was so focused on getting through First Aid thoroughly, I ran out of time and did less than 400 questions and only took 1 practice exam and it is almost impossible to study after working all day)

So now I am really worried. I was pretty upset but figured that I would work really hard on my rotations, study throughout the next year and rock Step 2 and just apply to DO residencies. The problem is, I just realized that I really love Peds but I KNOW I will want to do a fellowship too, as in Peds cardiology. Well, there just aren't that many osteopathic peds fellowships. If I do get a DO residency, and then decided to do a fellowship (which would have to be allopathic), do I have to report that I failed USMLE Step 1 in my fellowship application? Or will I not even be able to apply since I failed?

Should I try and take USMLE Step 1 again? I'm in middle of rotations and I can't imagine studying for it all over again, but if I need to, I can and I'll work my best to pass but I know I won't knock it out of the park. I'm just so stressed about what to do and I know I screwed up all of my options. Any honest advice would be great.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. septoplasty

septoplasty Exceptional
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I really dont think anyone would care you failed Step 1 when you're applying to Fellowships.

Its like failing your SAT's when applying for med school type of thing?

Then again, my opinion really shouldn't hold any weight.

4. The Masked Duck

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Try posting this in the Pediatrics section or Neonatology and Pediatric Critical Care/Cardiology sub section . The people there should know more as they are residents and attending.