Failing a class in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocket

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens if you get a D, or worse, fail a class in medical school. Do you have to repeat the class? Are you basically screwed when it comes time for residency or will a high board score compensate.

Members don't see this ad.

No, you're not screwed. Your preclinical grades are only a part of your residency application. Your board scores and your clinical grades will be far more important.

As for whether or not you have to repeat the class, I'm sure that's left to the discretion of your school. Here at SUNY Downstate only Fs are required to be retaken.

At my school, you have to repeat the whole year if you fail a class. We don't get letter grades, either... you get honors, high pass, pass, remediate, or fail. If you get a "remediate," you have the option to take the class over during the summer, rather than repeating the whole year. The good news is, there is SO much academic help available. It's very hard to fail a class... the school will do whatever it takes to help you out. I believe most med schools are this way. And, as turtleboard said, your board scores, letters of rec, etc. are all very important to residency apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, if you get below a 70%, you have to repeat the class. However, we have block scheduling, so we have one really long class this first semester that consists of biochem, physiology, and genetics. At the end of the semester, you get a "subscore" for each individual section, in addition to the composite score. If you score below a 70% in any one subscore, you have to retake a summer course only in that subject. They do this so you can complete the year as normal without ending up an entire year behind.

I went to PA school (I know--it is not medical school) but we needed at least an 80 in every class or we would be held back the entire year. You had to retake every class as well. At 12k per year -- it was incredibly stressful!

Amitha726:

do u got o university of rotchester...medical school. is that to which u were referring to regarding a lot of academic help is available so it will be kind of hard to fail a class?

thanks!
rayhana

If you look at the bottom of her post, it's clear she goes to U. of Cincinnati Med School