Failing a course after an acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Launcelot

Lord of the Flies
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone were to fail a course after receiving an acceptance, what would happen or what should the course of action be on the applicant's part?

Members don't see this ad.

If someone were to fail a course after receiving an acceptance, what would happen or what should the course of action be on the applicant's part?
Usually, offers of admission are contingent upon certain criteria (a common one being the passing of classes in which you are currently enrolled) dictated by each respective school. You might find that information on the letter of acceptance. Personally, if it were me, I would contact the school as soon as I found out I no longer met the criteria and explain how I plan to remedy the situation. The school will find out one way or another in the end. I reason it would be better to be proactive and show that you are dedicated to improving upon the setback rather than trying to hide it in plain sight.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What course did you fail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Read your acceptance letter carefully. Most of the time it states "contingent upon completion of all courses in progress in a satisfactory manner." Which would mean you are risking rescindence of your med school acceptance. I would contact the med school ASAP. ASAP. As in yesterday. Have a plan in place. I would highly recommend signing up to retake the course and do well this time.

As with anything med acceptance school related, get whatever they tell you (whether retake, you're SOL, or it's no big deal) in writing.

Reactions: 1 user
Read your acceptance letter carefully. Most of the time it states "contingent upon completion of all courses in progress in a satisfactory manner." Which would mean you are risking rescindence of your med school acceptance. I would contact the med school ASAP. ASAP. As in yesterday. Have a plan in place. I would highly recommend signing up to retake the course and do well this time.

As with anything med acceptance school related, get whatever they tell you (whether retake, you're SOL, or it's no big deal) in writing.

If it is not in writing, they didn't say it.

What if I fail or drop an elective course that I don't need but am just taking? I was gonna chill and take a few classes but they are hard. Are you saying I can fail an elective course and possibly get my acceptance taken away?

What if I fail or drop an elective course that I don't need but am just taking? I was gonna chill and take a few classes but they are hard. Are you saying I can fail an elective course and possibly get my acceptance taken away?

It's school dependent. I'd contact the school you intend on going to.