Failing ABEM boards...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMFreakz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not that I am expecting this, but just in case... what's the consequence for not passing the qualifying/written exam? or the oral exam? Do jobs, employers or contract groups give you a rough time if this happens? Difficult maintaining or getting a job?

Members don't see this ad.

Every year, ACEP publishes a list of physicians who fail the boards.

I think I heard you have to do some CME credit and then retake it. Dunno how many times you can take it though.

I'm hoping I pass it the first time when I take it next year. If in-training exams correlate with actual board scores, then I should pass.

Some of the folks out of residency can provide a slightly better answer but my understanding is some jobs write in their contracts that you must become Board certified within 3 yrs, I assume if you dont they can or will fire you, others just provide some monetary incentive if you pass like 5 or 10K per yr.

you do NOT need to be BC to practice EM, but a secondary benefit would be to help defend yourself (just a little) if/when you get sued.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never heard of ACEP publishing names of docs who failed. Would be interested in seeing the list though.

I've also heard that they post a list of people who fail to notice sarcasm.

Sorry kungfu if not as observant as you. It looked like a serious response, although not likely.

I know a guy, I'll see if I can keep your name from being published.

Good luck finding my name on that list. I'll look for yours though.