Failing out of UIWRSO chances of getting into IAUPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-optometry student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just failed out of my fist year of optometry school. I failed one class first semester and then failed one lab second semester, but i passed the lecture portion of the class. What are my chances of getting into IAUPR?

Members don't see this ad.

Our class had quite a few in that position as well. I will say I know they are getting tougher bc they want to change the image of the school but I would say apply and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
lets thing positive IAUPR takes students like you and have gone on to be successful and graduated and passed their boards

Think about your future for a second. If you do end up at another school and you still fail out, how much debt will you have? Worst of all you will have nothing to show for it.

I know that Nova has a 5 year program for students that might need a slower pace.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you do anything to improve?
Did you talk to professors?
Change up your studying?
Contact and follow up with academic/health services offered?

If you couldn't pass your first semester, what makes you think it will be any different in Puerto Rico where support may be even less than what you had before?

Before jumping into IAUPR research the school. There is plenty of information on this site explaining how IAUPR is not good school in any sense of the word. It's unfortunate that you will have people who won't give you the facts but will give an optimistic unrealistic view of the school. You could never imagine how poor an institution can be if your coming from states schools for high school, and undergrad. Try taking tests with words that are so misspelled you cannot make sense of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Before jumping into IAUPR research the school. There is plenty of information on this site explaining how IAUPR is not good school in any sense of the word. It's unfortunate that you will have people who won't give you the facts but will give an optimistic unrealistic view of the school. You could never imagine how poor an institution can be if your coming from states schools for high school, and undergrad. Try taking tests with triple negatives, words that are so misspelled you cannot make sense of them, and flat out incorrect information.

Great feedback.

To the original poster, please don’t do that to yourself, or more importantly, potential future patients. If you’re failing out of UIWRSO, try harder. Failure, or subpar performance, is not an option when it comes to healthcare. To try and get by on that is a disservice to everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Before jumping into IAUPR research the school. There is plenty of information on this site explaining how IAUPR is not good school in any sense of the word. It's unfortunate that you will have people who won't give you the facts but will give an optimistic unrealistic view of the school. You could never imagine how poor an institution can be if your coming from states schools for high school, and undergrad. Try taking tests with triple negatives, words that are so misspelled you cannot make sense of them, and flat out incorrect information.
HA! I remember taking Diaz exams and not having a damn clue what he was asking...LOL he misspelled every single drug name

HA! I remember taking Diaz exams and not having a damn clue what he was asking...LOL he misspelled every single drug name
OMG he misspelled everything and was his tests were un-readable. And it literally just got worse year after year...

Last edited by a moderator:
IAUPR is famous for taking fail outs because they believe that if you had the stats to get into a better school then you will succeed here. We have around 20 or so students that failed out of top schools currently attending and do well here..... if you want to be an OD and they accept you then go for it. You will have to start all over again as I believe they don't give credit for anything you've already done (most of the time) so you'll be in greater debt but everyone at IAUPR usually has a much higher debt than other schools so... My advice is go for it but you better have a good reason for failing (family issue, money troubles) something that gives reason to you not making it. Many of those who failed out of other schools do extremely well, pass boards on the first try and generally get better rotation sites and job offers right out so id say don't listen to the nay sayers and do it. (but remember the island is in economic crisis they don't call it welfare island for nothing and they haven't recovered from the hurricane)